Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2001 Monte Ls rear defroster isn't working

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Default 2001 Monte Ls rear defroster isn't working

I don't really know a whole lot of technical things about fuses, If someone could give me a breakdown on where to look, because my owner's manual doesn't give me alot of info

Old 12-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: 2001 Monte Ls rear defroster isn't working

open the drivers side door, then there's a little pannel on the side of the dash board, pull it off, then you'll see a bunch of fuses, look for the fuse that says for the rear defroster (descriptions will be on pack of removable pannel) pull it out

should be a 2 prong fuse, look in the plastic part of it there will be a metal 'S' shaped piece(sideways) if its split in the middle it means that its blown and thats all you need, if its not, then you may need someone to check the wiring or i think there is a resistor for the rear defroster from the dealer

Old 12-03-2006, 05:41 AM
Default RE: 2001 Monte Ls rear defroster isn't working

incase u havent checked, make sure the terminals on the rear glass are still atached. one of mine came off on me, just had to hit it with a solidering gun to remelt the lead/solider already there.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by 2000LS
incase u havent checked, make sure the terminals on the rear glass are still atached. one of mine came off on me, just had to hit it with a solidering gun to remelt the lead/solider already there.
anyone know another fix? i re soldered it twice now and i cant solder it anymore. is there an epoxy glue or a part replacement?
ty

Old 09-05-2011, 01:09 AM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

there are some repair kits available online, but I haven't tried any of them yet! I have the same issues in my 06! It has been a recurring issue here for a long time....

Frost Fighter Defroster Repair and Replacement Kits

Old 09-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
there are some repair kits available online, but I haven't tried any of them yet! I have the same issues in my 06! It has been a recurring issue here for a long time....

Thanks for the link! have to fix Wifey's defrost before winter this will help.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831

ty for the link , hopefully works well

Old 09-05-2011, 04:28 PM

i guess i will c this winter if mine works lol

Old 12-21-2012, 10:48 PM

Is there any one that has used any of the products, that have been mentioned? I was told today that i would have to replace the whole back window. Because if I try and fix myself I could blow out my back window.. Scared any advise on this??

Old 12-21-2012, 11:45 PM

I've used JB weld or solder in the past many times with no problems.

Well. My Monte doesnt work and the JB didnt work either. Not quite enough contact area w/o soldering.

I have one of the kits from Autozone. I'll be chipping off the JB weld and trying this kit out in a day or two. It's not what I expected though, just a simple conductive epoxy, instead it requires you to soak a pad on the metal parts first, there is an activator that you hold on it but you don't mix in it, it's very odd.

I'll post with the results though.

Quick Reply: 2001 Monte Ls rear defroster isn't working