Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2001 Monte Carlo Traction Control Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 04:50 PM

Alright, so I had the left front wheel hub assembly replaced and no more problems with the abs. No more service traction system light and whatnot, but today... I still have the traction becoming active after backing out of a driveway, parking spot or whatever and when I make left hand turns...is it possible that the right wheel hub assembly is bad too? Or could it be that speed sensor on the right side?!

Old 06-24-2009, 08:39 PM

I have been having ALL the same issues but got lucky with replacing the hubs. Now i have a P0420 code coming up and its making the car DRINK fuel like crazy. Has anyone seen this before? The description is Catalyst effiency below threshold Bank 1.

Thanks
Doug

Last edited by Doug g; 06-24-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Default traction control

can you replace these cables your self i dont have the money to pay someone to do this im just wondering if anyone has done it there driveway and is there a manual for this

Last edited by jabart29; 07-17-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by chevygirl24
Alright, so I had the left front wheel hub assembly replaced and no more problems with the abs. No more service traction system light and whatnot, but today... I still have the traction becoming active after backing out of a driveway, parking spot or whatever and when I make left hand turns...is it possible that the right wheel hub assembly is bad too? Or could it be that speed sensor on the right side?!
If you have the dollars for the amount! Just get your system checked too make sure all your electrical components are working correctly.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Angry traction/abs

02' monte here with the same "service traction control" light followed by ABS light. Now....

according to this forum and several others it was the left rear hub assembly. Mechanic wanted $$$$$$ to fix it so I went to Autozone and got the parts for $135. 3 hours later in my driveway I had it replaced. Unhooked the battery for 1 hour. LIGHT CAME BACK ON!!!!

Local mechanic scanned it and the code read "right front wheel speed sensor"- aka HUB ASSEMBLY

Again mechanic wants $$$$$$$$$$ to fix, so back to autozone. $230 (needed 2 additional tools) and back in my driveway for 2 hours. unhooked battery for 2 hours this time. fired up---- NO LIGHTS!!!! Im thinking awesome right? went around the block, speeding up slowing down, trying to make it come on but it didnt. Im thinking i beat it until I shut it off and started it right back up. SAME f-ing LIGHTS! I want to scream. Almost stuck a pick axe through the hood. POS.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Default traction/abs

NEW SYMPTOM:

got pissed and decided to push the brake pedal as hard as I could to the floor while starting the car. the lights stayed off until the moment I let pressure off the pedal the "service traction control" light came on and the abs light came on. Tried it several times with the same result. Could this be a problem with the brake lines or the ABS pump?

Old 04-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Default abs/traction/rotors r/f speed sensor and harness

03 Monte SS. Paid chevy dealer repair $1100 last month as my brakes felt like they were "about to give"...loud grinding noise at certain times/abs and traction lights come on/off. they installed new front brake pads and rotors and on invoice noted "repair of r/f speed sensor and harness declined." i know nothing about cars but i am still having the EXACT same issues i paid $1100 thinking they were fixed! brakes feel shot, abs/traction lights come on and off. Should i get the speed sensor and harness repaired or what to expect to PAY - they did not explain what that was to me and so i have no clue what it is or how it affects everything. sorry to ramble. i'm at my wits end and feel like going on a 12 state killing spree. before i call them back to see if i can bring it back down for another look...i need to know what i am dealing with so they don't "get me." they also suggested (and i did) get a new catalytic converter. I have 2 small children...and driving that car with the brakes as they are is really concerning to me. help and thanks a billion!! Susan

Old 04-20-2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by smartin40
03 Monte SS. Paid chevy dealer repair $1100 last month as my brakes felt like they were "about to give"...loud grinding noise at certain times/abs and traction lights come on/off. they installed new front brake pads and rotors and on invoice noted "repair of r/f speed sensor and harness declined." i know nothing about cars but i am still having the EXACT same issues i paid $1100 thinking they were fixed! brakes feel shot, abs/traction lights come on and off. Should i get the speed sensor and harness repaired or what to expect to PAY - they did not explain what that was to me and so i have no clue what it is or how it affects everything. sorry to ramble. i'm at my wits end and feel like going on a 12 state killing spree. before i call them back to see if i can bring it back down for another look...i need to know what i am dealing with so they don't "get me." they also suggested (and i did) get a new catalytic converter. I have 2 small children...and driving that car with the brakes as they are is really concerning to me. help and thanks a billion!! Susan
WOW you paid $1100 and they didnt even replace them. what exactly did they replace for that price ?
i am not positive how much the price varies from here in PA. to where you are at but here i can buy the parts to replace brakes and rotors all the way around on my 01 for under $200.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Default traction/abs

Originally Posted by CashMoney
WOW you paid $1100 and they didnt even replace them. what exactly did they replace for that price ?
i am not positive how much the price varies from here in PA. to where you are at but here i can buy the parts to replace brakes and rotors all the way around on my 01 for under $200.
I'm sorry! That cost included the $470 they charged me for the catalytic converter. Brakes and rotors came out to about $200. I need to call them and tell them the brakes still feel "iffy" so i can take it back to them and have them corrected (without getting charged again)....but what i don't know is if THEY will come back and say the whole issue is caused by the "R/F speed sensor and harness" repair that I declined. Again....they tech didn't say one word to me about the speed sensor and harness (and i have no clue what that is only saw it on the final invoice)...so i want to be prepared if they tell me "this issue remains because you didn't get that part fixed..." hope this all makes sense. Talk about stress....thanks!!

Old 01-15-2021, 10:55 AM
Default I hear you!

Originally Posted by dwprecision
02' monte here with the same "service traction control" light followed by ABS light. Now....

according to this forum and several others it was the left rear hub assembly. Mechanic wanted $$$$$$ to fix it so I went to Autozone and got the parts for $135. 3 hours later in my driveway I had it replaced. Unhooked the battery for 1 hour. LIGHT CAME BACK ON!!!!

Local mechanic scanned it and the code read "right front wheel speed sensor"- aka HUB ASSEMBLY

Again mechanic wants $$$$$$$$$$ to fix, so back to autozone. $230 (needed 2 additional tools) and back in my driveway for 2 hours. unhooked battery for 2 hours this time. fired up---- NO LIGHTS!!!! Im thinking awesome right? went around the block, speeding up slowing down, trying to make it come on but it didnt. Im thinking i beat it until I shut it off and started it right back up. SAME f-ing LIGHTS! I want to scream. Almost stuck a pick axe through the hood. POS.
I hear you! My 2002 SS Monte’s warning light is “on” after both front hubs replaced. The first few times, it was left front wiring. Seems to be everyone’s complaint. “SERVICE ABS”

Quick Reply: 2001 Monte Carlo Traction Control Problem