Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2001 MC SS Fuel Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2001 MC SS Fuel Problem!

I've been dealing with this issue for like 2 weeks now. [:@]My fuel gauge on my dashboard has been reading INCORRECTLY. One minute the hands is in the middle, next it goes from side to side, basically telling me it do not know how much fuel is in my tank. I have been going on a whelm and just putting gas in the tank but driving but not knowing how much "Left" of fuel I have. I wait for the needle to lay on "E" and once it does, I will put whateva I have in my pocket (of course untilI get paid). I spoken with my mechanic and he said it might could be the "sending unit" of the fuel pump, so I am lost on what to buy.I want to make sure I am buying the right part for my car. Any suggestion! Please Help! Thanks!

Old 01-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Default RE: 2001 MC SS Fuel Problem!

Your symptom is usually caused by the Sending Unit. Putting-in a new one is No Joy. You have to drop the Fuel Tank and take the damn thing out the Top. Since you ALSO have to drop the Tank to even Test it ... Most places skip the test and install a NEW one. $95 ~ 100.00 for the part thru GMPartsDirect.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:25 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Do you have the electronic gauge at the top above the rear view mirror?? You could probably just go by range.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:46 AM

Well I tried to go by the trip planner on my dashboard and estimate how many miles I have to the gallon but I always come out short. Yes I do know how to count LOL! I don't mind paying for a fuel pump at all. If I will have to buy a new, then so be it. Thanks for the reply guys, I really appreciate it!

Old 01-25-2009, 03:27 PM

2000-2004 Monte Carlo's have a fuel pump access panel in the trunk under the carpet. There is no need to remove the fuel tank on those year Monte's. Also the fuel level sensor is attached to the fuel pump module assembly but is available separately.There is no need to replace your fuel pump modulejust to get a new fuel level sensor. Big difference in $$$

Old 02-26-2009, 08:27 PM

I didn't know it was located in the trunk. Wow, I am glad you told me because I was gonna drill some half inch holes on the floor board of the trunk to fasten my sub box to it for better security and no movement when I make a turn. I just went on ahead and bought the fuel pump (thinking I need the whole thing). I will "TRY" to get a refund but I highly doubt it. I know I am having more problems then one with this fuel situation. Instead of me going off the mileage to calculate fuel usage, I try using the fuel indicator on the overhead console and it reads 7.9 - 8.7 gallons of use and the "Low Fuel" light comes on. Now I know im not dumb by a long shot to know that the fuel tank has 17 gallons. So when I go fill the tank back up, I only b=put 11 - 12 gallons back in just to be on the safe side. I don't know whats going wrong with my fuel in my car. I can't use the overhead console, the mileage, or the fuel gauge to let me know when I am on "E".

Old 02-27-2009, 08:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

bowtie, I've been having this issue myself. When I start my car, it gives me an accurate reading of fuel so I know how much gas I have when I start on a flat surface. But while driving it just goes up to full. If I'm experiencing the same problem and I just need to pull back the carpet in the trunk and change a fuel level sensor.

Are we talking a cheap/easy job? And if so I would like to take it on as the weather gets nicer, could I get a tiny bit better description of it?

Old 02-28-2009, 07:33 PM

This procedure for fuel pump module or fuel level sensor replacement applies only to 2000-2004 Monte Carlo's. By the way,the driver information center in the overhead console relies on data from the fuel level sensor along with several other data inputs to make it's fuel information calculations.If the fuel level sensor data is skewed the driver information center display will be inaccurate. The artwork depicting the location of the access panel under the trunk carpet is rather poor,but the location is very obvious once the carpet is removed.
[hr]

Fuel Sender Assembly Replacement [/align]
Removal Procedure
Caution:Fuel Vapors can collect while servicing fuel system parts in enclosed areas such as a trunk. To reduce the risk of fire and increased exposure to vapors: [align=left]

•
Use forced air ventilation such as a fan set outside of the trunk.[/align][align=left]

•
Plug or cap any fuel system openings in order to reduce fuel vapor formation.[/align][align=left]

•
Clean up any spilled fuel immediately.[/align][align=left]

•
Avoid sparks and any source of ignition.[/align][align=left]

•
Use signs to alert others in the work area that fuel system work is in process.[/align]

Notice:Clean all of the following areas before performing any disconnections in order to avoid possible contamination in the system: [align=left]

•
The fuel pipe connections[/align][align=left]

•
The hose connections[/align][align=left]

•
The areas surrounding the connections[/align]

Important:For rear compartment (trunk) accessible fuel sender assemblies, completely remove the rear compartment carpet before removing the fuel sender access panel.
Important:Always replace the fuel sender O-rings when reinstalling the fuel sender assembly.
Important:The modular fuel sender assembly will spring-up when the snap ring is removed.
Important:Always maintain cleanliness when servicing fuel system components.
[ol]

Relieve the fuel system fuel pressure. Refer to Fuel Pressure Relief .
Remove the rear compartment trim panel. Refer to Rear Compartment Trim Panel Replacement in Body Rear End.
Remove the fuel sender access panel nuts.
Remove the fuel sender access panel.
Disconnect the fuel tank pressure sensor electrical connector.
Disconnect the fuel sender electrical connector.
Clean the fuel pipes, and fuel sender assembly to prevent possible fuel contamination during removal.
Disconnect the quick-connect fittings at the fuel sender assembly. Refer to Plastic Collar Quick Connect Fitting Service .

Remove the fuel sender retaining ring.
Remove the modular fuel sender assembly.
Clean the fuel sender assembly O-ring sealing surfaces.
Inspect the fuel sender assembly O-ring sealing surfaces. [/ol]
Installation Procedure
[ol]

Notice:Always re-attach the fuel lines and fuel filter with all original type fasteners and hardware. Do not repair sections of fuel pipes.

Important:Care should be taken not to fold over or twist the fuel pump strainer when installing the fuel sender assembly, as this will restrict fuel flow. Also, assure that the fuel pump strainer does not block full travel of float arm.
Important:Ensure that the fuel sender assembly retaining snap ring is fully seated within the tab slots on the fuel tank.
Position the new fuel sender assembly O-ring on the fuel tank.
Install the fuel sender assembly into the fuel tank.
Install the fuel sender assembly retaining ring while holding the fuel sender assembly down.
Connect the fuel sender electrical connector.
Connect the fuel tank pressure sensor electrical connector.
Connect the quick-connect fittings at the fuel sender assembly. Refer to Plastic Collar Quick Connect Fitting Service .
Install the fuel filler cap.
Connect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection in Engine Electrical.
Inspect for leaks. [align=left]

Turn ON the ignition for 2seconds.[/align][align=left]

Turn OFF the ignition for 10seconds.[/align][align=left]

Turn ON the ignition.[/align][align=left]

Inspect for fuel leaks.[/align]

Install the fuel sender access panel.
Notice:Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
Install the fuel sender access panel nuts.
Tighten
Tighten the nuts to 10N·m (89lbin).
Install the rear compartment trim panel. Refer to Rear Compartment Trim Panel Replacement in Body Rear End.[/ol][/align]

Old 03-03-2009, 08:03 PM

Vivid details bowtietech. my mechanic said he is familiar with changing the fuel pump so he will do it for me. The way the instructions was presented, its kinda giving me hope to install it on my own. Thanks Bowtietech!!!!!

Old 03-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Smile fuel sensor repair

The instructions given above are very good I did this job myself in about 1 1/2 hrs. Funny thing When I called the dealer and other parts places they told me no sensor was available. So I didn't want to waste a perfectly good pump and buy a new one so I tried to repair it. I discovered that the reason I was getting bad level readings was the little wiper contacts that are attached to the level arm were worn and coming off of the contact area.when the arm was moving around like when the car was moving and gas was sloshing around. I took the unit off the pump and carefully took off the float arm out of the holder and pushed out the bushing and then the black plastic part that has the little brush arm comes off. The bushing holds it together, after that I pushed the wiper springs down to exert more pressure on the contact area and put it all back together and it works perfectly. No money spent! No leaks
2 tips I have
spray with WD40 the ring that holds the pump in the tank before trying to loosen it,I did it the day before.
The opening had to be tweeked a little bit with a pliers to make it easier to get the ring & pump out and then untweeked after it back in.

Quick Reply: 2001 MC SS Fuel Problem!