Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2000 3.4L starts and dies

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Default 2000 3.4L starts and dies

I did a search but nothing matching these symptoms came up. The car has been sitting for about a year. Put fresh gas in it and jumped it. Started right up and idles for 15-20 minutes. Unhooked the cables and the car died within seconds.

Took the battery out and trickle charged the battery for a day. Put the battery in and it idles high for a few minutes. After a few starts it finally settles at 1000. Take it for a ride and it runs great for about 4 miles. Come to a stop sign and it dies. Starts but won't idle. Manage to get it home(coasted in the driveway) and now it will start and die within 2-3 seconds.

After messing with it the battery goes dead. So, I get a new battery the next day and it starts right up and idles great. I check the voltage at the battery while running and it's 14.6 volts so I assume alternator is working. After about 10 minutes starts idling rough and a couple minutes later dies. Now starts and dies again.

The longer I let it sit the longer it will run. Let it sit for and hour it will run for 20-30 seconds. Let it sit for 4 hours maybe a minute or two. Overnight 8-10 minutes.

Taking it in to get scanned Monday but looking for ideas until then. Check engine light is on.

Also, the doors lock when the security light comes on. According to the owner's manual the battery light and security light is suppose to come on after turning the key, but it doesn't say anything about the locks.

Sorry for the long-winded post I just wanted to be as detailed as possible.

Last edited by nvr8nf; 10-16-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:15 PM

The things that come to mind to check off of the top would be the voltage that your alternator is putting out and whether the pass lock system is kicking in and disabling the vehicle.

I would also get the codes checked for the CEL as that could lead to some clues.

Other than that, I guess you could have a corroded battery terminal or a bad ground somewhere.

Do you have an Auto Zone near you? They could check both for free. That would be my best advice.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by K-Mac Attack
The things that come to mind to check off of the top would be the voltage that your alternator is putting out and whether the pass lock system is kicking in and disabling the vehicle.

I would also get the codes checked for the CEL as that could lead to some clues.

Other than that, I guess you could have a corroded battery terminal or a bad ground somewhere.

Do you have an Auto Zone near you? They could check both for free. That would be my best advice.
Voltage is 14.5-14.6. Checked all battery terminals, wires, etc. It doesn't appear that passlock is a factor as the security light isn't coming on.

Problem is I'd never make it to Auto Zone. LOL

Old 10-16-2010, 06:33 PM

Was the car stored with the same gas in the tank for the whole period? If it has, your problem is the fuel. Fuel degrades, and after a year it's octane drops like a rock, making it unusable. Adding fresh gas won't help much. Drain your tank, lines and add new fresh fuel.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by montyss02
Was the car stored with the same gas in the tank for the whole period? If it has, your problem is the fuel. Fuel degrades, and after a year it's octane drops like a rock, making it unusable. Adding fresh gas won't help much. Drain your tank, lines and add new fresh fuel.
I agree about old gas but in my experience when gas is bad it's bad. So the vehicle would consistently run poorly or not run at all. It runs great for a few minutes after it sits.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:06 PM

If it runs fine after it sits and cools off, it may be that it's running rich 'cause its cold. Once it warms up and runs in open loop, the low octane can't keep up. Also, have you checked for DTC's? if you can't get to auto zone to get them check, the scanners aren't that expensive and they are easy to use. Anyway, good luck!