Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

1995 MC Z34 - Need a code scanner

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 08:22 AM

Monte of the Month -- August 2013
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 1995 MC Z34 - Need a code scanner

Hi guys,

My 1995 MC Z34 - 132,000 miles- has been acting up recently. The first problem lately has been a slight miss that never seems to go away. Its fine on the highway but once warm and stopped at I was told that it was probably a faulty EGR valve and that if I unplugged it, the miss would stop (and it did) but I decided to plug it back in because the check engine light would stay on and I figured if there was a real problem with something I wouldn't know.

The second problem has been the power steering (whining in the morning when cold, fine when warm). And while I cant find a leak, my power steering reservoir was halfway down the other day and when I opened it there looked to be bubbles in there. I am debating whether or not its worth fixing all these problems as the car is probably not worth much despite having no rust on the body.

What I do need to know though is, what code scanner would read this model car? Any suggestions/recommendations appreciated.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:12 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

I think that you should just need a regular old OBD-I scan tool. The cheapest that I could find was $150. I think this is nuts when you consider that I got mine for $30.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:05 PM

If you don't want to buy a scanner right now you can usually use one for free from someplace like Autozone or O'reilly auto parts. They just make you leave a deposit for the price of the scanner and refund it in full when you return it. You may not want to buy a scanner capable of OBD1 if you eventually get a car newer than what you have since you would be getting into the OBDII codes.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:11 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

That one for $150 includes the connections for both OBD-I & OBD-II.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:01 PM

sounds like a sensor or egr issue... could be a o2 sensor- it doesnt read the exhaust o2 readings until the car is up to temp, while the car is warming up it uses pre-programmed computer settings.... also check your egr line as it may be clogged- a $2 can of carb cleaner could save you several hundred dollars in repairs!!

i was having the same problem with my power steering pump as well - lucas oil makes a great power steering pump additave that stops leaks, and is supposed to recondition seals- it stopped the whining

Last edited by 99inprogress; 02-14-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:06 AM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 99inprogress
sounds like a sensor or egr issue... could be a o2 sensor- it doesnt read the exhaust o2 readings until the car is up to temp, while the car is warming up it uses pre-programmed computer settings.... also check your egr line as it may be clogged- a $2 can of carb cleaner could save you several hundred dollars in repairs!!

i was having the same problem with my power steering pump as well - lucas oil makes a great power steering pump additave that stops leaks, and is supposed to recondition seals- it stopped the whining
Hey thanks everyone.

99inprogress, yea i have already been told the EGR valve is faulty. But after hearing the price for a new one I was not in a rush to fix it. I even had it cleaned too. I was told to leave it unplugged as it would not really affect much but the check engine light and if I had an emissions test done that it would probably failed. When i plugged the EGR valve back in (after being told to leave it unplugged to stop the miss in the car) the check engine light went off for a good month or so but now has come back on. The faulty valve most likely the cause? This is why I need a proper scanner

The power steering thing is probably a separate issue and probably has nothing to do with the check engine light im guessing? I'll try that Lucas oil additive you mentioned but I'm sure the pump is shot. It is the original part and the "bubbling" in the resevoir seems to indicate air getting in there? Not too sure..

Im gonna miss this 95 if I have to get rid of it now. Was hoping to keep it around for another winter if I could for my winter ride. Also has original timing belt too which is probably another issue on the horizon and would probably be the final straw as I wouldnt want to put the money into that job. But if I could figure these 2 small problems out I'd be more then so relieved. Thanks guys.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Slugger088
Hey thanks everyone.

99inprogress, yea i have already been told the EGR valve is faulty. But after hearing the price for a new one I was not in a rush to fix it. I even had it cleaned too. I was told to leave it unplugged as it would not really affect much but the check engine light and if I had an emissions test done that it would probably failed. When i plugged the EGR valve back in (after being told to leave it unplugged to stop the miss in the car) the check engine light went off for a good month or so but now has come back on. The faulty valve most likely the cause? This is why I need a proper scanner

The power steering thing is probably a separate issue and probably has nothing to do with the check engine light im guessing? I'll try that Lucas oil additive you mentioned but I'm sure the pump is shot. It is the original part and the "bubbling" in the resevoir seems to indicate air getting in there? Not too sure..

Im gonna miss this 95 if I have to get rid of it now. Was hoping to keep it around for another winter if I could for my winter ride. Also has original timing belt too which is probably another issue on the horizon and would probably be the final straw as I wouldnt want to put the money into that job. But if I could figure these 2 small problems out I'd be more then so relieved. Thanks guys.
slugger088- even checked ebay. they definately dont give away the obd 1 scanners do they ?? too bad it wasnt one year newer the obd2's are pretty cheap... might just be cheaper to take it to a repair shop and pay the $35-$50 to have them run it. sorry man. let us know what you decide.

sorry, not sure what i was trying to say before, it might not be the egr itself but... check to make sure the EGR supply from the exhaust manifold is clear, as well as the path from the EGR into the intake. either one of those could cause an egr fault code.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:57 PM

Just go to AutoZone and have them scan it for free!

Old 02-16-2011, 09:47 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChiTownSS04
Just go to AutoZone and have them scan it for free!
We don't have autozone where im from. I would like my own anyway..

Old 02-17-2011, 06:51 AM
Gib

My son bought an ultragauge.com on sale it was about $59.oo it displays info in real time and also clears codes

Quick Reply: 1995 MC Z34 - Need a code scanner