Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

06 Monte LT remote fob range

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 01:40 AM
Default 06 Monte LT remote fob range

Got a quick question, sorry if it's already been answered, but I couldn't find it. I have a 06 Monte LS. The problem is that I have to be right next to my car in order to use the remote lock/unlock/remote start. I know the remote start has a fairly short range compared to aftermarket, but c'mon. I've replaced the batteries in both fobs, and they still only work if I'm right next to the car. Any ideas?

Old 11-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Default RE: 06 Monte LT remote fob range

take it back to your dealer... there's a TSB about this issue and it will be fixed free of charge...

Old 11-07-2006, 01:33 PM

If you place the FOB right under your chin, you head will be an antenna, and the range will be significantly increased. Sounds stupid, but it really works. It's great if you "lost" your car in a parking garage!

Matt|ttaM

Old 11-07-2006, 03:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Tiderfish
If you place the FOB right under your chin, you head will be an antenna, and the range will be significantly increased. Sounds stupid , but it really works. It's great if you "lost" your car in a parking garage! Matt|ttaM
[:-]Just try look'in @ me for 10 seconds without laughing[:-]

Hey Matt, worked 4 me, but my hair stands up all the time now, &
my girlfriend starts acting horny when I place it under her chin, & my
remote starter kicks `in : )
Thanks
`space

Old 11-09-2006, 01:21 PM

That is funny. That pic is crazy!

Old 11-09-2006, 04:30 PM

ORIGINAL: 06MonteSS
take it back to your dealer... there's a TSB about this issue and it will be fixed free of charge...
Hi Lewis, I've searched for the TSB #, but can't find it. Do you happen to
know the TSB # ? Thanks for your post & infor.
Space

Old 11-13-2006, 11:35 AM

this is from a GM Tech that posted in another forum site:

================================================
================================================

i am a GM tech and i had the same issue. had to be next to my car to get it to auto start. here is the fix. its an updated software.

Document ID# 1866294
2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Remote Keyless Entry (Inop/Intermittent Function) Or Tire Pressure Monitor Concerns - keywords fob RCDLR RKE RVS start TIMS TPM transmitter vehicle #PIC3764N - (10/11/2006)

Models: 2006-2007 Buick Lucerne

2006-2007 Cadillac DTS

2006-2007 Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo

2007 Cadillac Escalade and SRX Models

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe, Equinox

2007 GMC Yukon and Yukon Denali Models

2007 Pontiac Torrent

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was updated to include check fob battery message and to clarify other concerns and repairs in the PI. Please discard PIC3764M.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
The vehicle may exhibit one or more of the following conditions:

The RCDLR and RKE Transmitters will not function after the serial data bus has gone to sleep.
Intermittently inoperative Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) - A condition of intermittent operation of the RKE transmitters (key fobs) has been identified.
Poor RKE range and/or Service Tire Monitor System message
RKE inoperative after programming any module on the vehicle
New RKE transmitters cannot be programmed
Vehicle may display low fob battery.
The RKE and Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) are functions of the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) with the exception of the 2006 Lucerne which uses the EBCM for Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) since there are no tire pressure sensors mounted inside the wheels.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Note:: When programming a new or existing RCDLR the programming instructions in SI for the must be followed. On vehicles equipped with Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM), if the tire type and tire pressure are not selected in module setup on the Tech 2, the RCDLR will not retain the tire pressures after the TPM system is learned.

RCDLR and both RKE Transmitters Will Not Function After the Serial Data Bus Has Gone to Sleep:
⇒ Open the drivers door to wake up the serial data bus, then verify the RCDLR functions normally, both transmitter will function.

⇒ Program RCDLR with the latest software available in TIS (New S/W released 9/18/06)

⇒ Steps to follow after programming, refer to SI Control Module References for RCDLR.

⇒ Verify RKE functions after vehicle serial data bus off conditions, 12 - 15 minutes from off powermode. (vehicle doors must be closed, keys out of vehicle and no scan tool connected).

⇒ If RKE will not function open drivers door to wake up serial data bus.

⇒ Replace the RCDLR .

⇒ Program RCDLR with the latest software available in TIS (New S/W released 9/18/06)

⇒ Steps to follow after programming, refer to SI Control Module References for RCDLR.

⇒ Verify RKE functions after vehicle serial data bus off conditions, 12 - 15 minutes from off powermode. (vehicle doors must be closed, keys out of vehicle and no scan tool connected).

Intermittently Inoperative Remote Keyless Entry (RKE): One or more RKE transmitters will not program or function.

Note: If both transmitters will not function confirm item A above.

⇒ Verify concern and attempt to relearn the transmitter(s) to the vehicle.

⇒ If the transmitter operation returns to normal following the relearn function, the i

Old 11-13-2006, 12:03 PM

here's a link to TSB's - http://www.alldata.com/tsb/General-M...dex-issue.html

note that the TSB's cover all of the different GM models, not just the Monte or Impala... you'd have to click through to the TSB and read it to see what vehicle it applies to...

You can also see what computer updates there are for your car here: http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web -- just enter in your VIN and off you go!

Old 11-13-2006, 01:04 PM

Lewis,

For your time & great information.
Safe/Happy Miles 2 U in your Awesome Monte "SS"
`Space

Old 01-01-2007, 05:00 PM

This was my exact question too! I literally have to stand on top of my car to open it much less start it. It is frustrating as heck. So, do you just take this info to the dealer and they should know what I am talking about. I know when I called to complaint about it they said it was a software issue and that a fix may be in the works. Any results from anyone?? Hopefully I won't have to put an astro start in...but it does not good to stand on your car to remotely start it!! Thanks to all those who gave info...sure helped me out for a first time (girl) visitor!!

Quick Reply: 06 Monte LT remote fob range