Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

'04 Rear Defroster

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Justin Knight
There was no module on my 2003 and I looked trust me. And I checked 2002 and 2004 also just cause I was flipping out.
Try looking again, because it's definitely there... I replaced it in my Impala

Here is the schematic for the 2003 and it's right there (Labeled Radio Antenna Module)

BBEngineer

Old 03-22-2011, 10:54 PM

I don't want to tell you that your wrong but you are I had the wiring bare and uncovered from the fuse panel to the glass and there was nothing. My tabs are epoxied back on with the frost fighter product and it works perfect. The impala could be different than a Monte for the defrost circuit, but this guy is having issues with a Monte so let's address the problem his car has.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:05 PM

I don't want to tell you that your wrong but you are I had the wiring bare and uncovered from the fuse panel to the glass and there was nothing. My tabs are epoxied back on with the frost fighter product and it works perfect. The impala could be different than a Monte for the defrost circuit, but this guy is having issues with a Monte so let's address the problem his car has.
You better hang onto that Monte because it's one of a kind... the rest of them have the module

That wiring diagram is from the Monte service manual (which is the same as the Impala Service manual.. it covers both) ... and aside from the broken tab, I covered the other (and more likely) possibilities (Circuit Breaker, Defrost/Antenna Module)

Here's a picture of it (Number 4 in the diagram):

Chevrolet 2003*Impala/Monte Carlo*BODY MOUNTING-AIR CONDITIONING-INSTRUMENT CLUSTER*2000-2005 W19-27 ANTENNA (U77)* Car parts for your Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Hummer, Light Truck, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, and more!

And here's the GM Part Number: 10289183
MODULE,RDO ANT(INCLS RR DEFOG MODULE)(LABELED WITH 10289183)(ACDelco #10289183)

EDIT: Here's one on Ebay... complete with compatible models/years
10289183 MODULE ASM-RDO ANT 04 03 02 01 00 MONTE CARLO - eBay (item 280607161759 end time Apr-21-11 02:29:33 PDT)

BBEngineer

Last edited by bbengineer; 03-22-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:25 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

First, I cannot believe we are fighting about this topic with other members. Gang, keep in mind, the Monte and Impala are W-Body cars. Yes, there are some differences, but 90% of the car's make up is the same. Matter of fact, I just found my wife's '05 Impala has a defroster issue and probably the same cause BBEngineer posted.

Now, in my quest (that is not yet complete, as I still have to FIX the problem), I heard of some GM cars that do not use an antenna mast having a radio/defrost module that goes bad. I did suspect that with the Monte, but I was having a REAL pain finding information about it. Nobody seemed to have a part number for the item, no one seemed to list it. Tons of peeps with defrost issues, but none listed there solutions (if they ever found it).

I applaud BBEngineer, he stepped forward with some info that really helped me bring my research to the next level! He gave me a name of someone that could get me the part number to the module (and the guy did, he also said there are two different part #'s GM used in my year, part numbers 10289183 and 10399641, you have to remove yours to see which you need). Those numbers cross ref to Monte AND Impala.

Knowing this info helped me make better use of an online GM shop manual site, the '04 Monte manual and Impala manual are the same and here's a link documenting replacing the module:
http://sm.gpona.com:9001/si/showDoc....m&cellId=46833
The problem is, that shop manual site lists that module as a fail point for bad radio reception, but I could not find ANYTHING that mantioned it as a fail point in the Defroster circuit. But, as noted, that manual lists replacing that module.

When I get the car out for summer driving, at some point this summer, I will be looking into this problem further, thanks to the info BBEngineer provided me.

There may be mid-generation changes, maybe some of the 6th gen Montes don't have this module, I don't know. All I do know is I now have part numbers and steps that document where and how to replace this module.

Admittedly, since I have not yet fixed my problem, I can't say BBEngineer is 100% right, but I am confident that to the best of his abilities, he has provided me the best info he can to help lead me to a resolution. THAT is what we're all here for.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:38 PM

i'm not fighting with anyone. its a simple fact that i've had all the interior panels and most of the carpeting out of my car and there was no module in my car the antenna insulated wire goes directly to the small antenna going of the back glass and the wires for the defrost go right into the fuse panel and from there to the BCM. the diagram he posted on here is the same one i found when i was looking for my problem and that module doesn't exist on my car.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:45 PM

i'm not fighting with anyone. its a simple fact that i've had all the interior panels and most of the carpeting out of my car and there was no module in my car the antenna insulated wire goes directly to the small antenna going of the back glass and the wires for the defrost go right into the fuse panel and from there to the BCM. the diagram he posted on here is the same one i found when i was looking for my problem and that module doesn't exist on my car.
Just for completeness.. when you get a chance, can you see if you have RPO U77 on your SPID?

I have never seen one, but the wording on CompNine leads me to believe that there may have been an option for a non-grid antenna...

BBEngineer

PS: Sorry if I got testy... was cranky last night

Old 03-23-2011, 08:04 PM

no worries, and for the record my back glass doesn't contain an antenna its the small one that sticks off the back window, i'll check the RPO's for U77 and let you know and i also have the complete RPO history for my car. not many people can aquire this and the parts store that did it for me could've got in trouble doing it up for me but they like me a lot. it explains all the codes and what equipment they are for in the car. and it was a real purchasing tool so i could find the car i wanted. it took 3 years to find it by the way. lol i'm picky

Old 03-23-2011, 08:10 PM

That's why you don't have a module... the module is for the in-window antenna/rear defroster. You won't have a U77 RPO code. I didn't realize there was an option for a non-window antenna.

You can actually get your RPOs right from CompNine... Enter your VIN on the following site and it will show you all of your RPOs
Comprehensive Chevrolet, Saturn, GMC, Hummer, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Geo, Dodge, Plymouth, Jeep, Chrysler, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, and Mazda Trucks VIN Decoder

You can also get the list from any GM dealership (include warranty work and recall history). Ask them to run a 'VIS' on your VIN

BBEngineer

Old 03-23-2011, 09:04 PM

So if this is an issue in so many monte carlos why hasn't chevy done something about it? I think its ridiculous that so many people are having the issue and its not an easy one to repair and yet chevy hasn't done something.

I have survived without it working for quite awhile now because i have mirrors mounted to my side mirrors that help me see my car more completely and my tint makes it hard to see anyways but i still hate when they fog up

Old 03-24-2011, 08:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Phobos
So if this is an issue in so many monte carlos why hasn't chevy done something about it? I think its ridiculous that so many people are having the issue and its not an easy one to repair and yet chevy hasn't done something.
I wish they would. Heck I know first hand the '06 Impala has a weak connector (it litterally burns out when it's had enough). There are some guys on the Impala forum that found that gem and shared it. I found that info in trying to help resolve a defroster issue for my friend's sister's '06 Impala.

Some of these issues I wish GM would be a recall on OR extended warranty for....

Quick Reply: '04 Rear Defroster