Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

03 rearview mirror came off windshield???

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Default 03 rearview mirror came off windshield???

Hi, new to the group. I have an 03 Monte Carlo SS. I was adjusting my rearview mirror and the darned thing just came off the windsheild. The metal mount just popped right off the window and of course is still left inside the mirror mount because there is a set screw holding it in. Do I just use glue to re affix it (the mounting plate)to the windshield? If so what type of glue? Or do I have the windshield replaced and assume that the metal 1" x 1" mount plate comes already affixed to the metal stripping that is part of the windshield? Anybody know what to do here? Thanks for the input...

VF

Old 09-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Default RE: 03 rearview mirror came off windshield???

[align=center]Hi Vince, & Welcome to the MCF[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I hope the below information helps.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Start by running down to your local auto parts store and picking up a rearview-mirror adhesive kit. It'll come with a vial of superstrong glue and a vial of accelerant to help the glue cure very quickly. There are usually instructions on the back of the cardboard packaging, too, should you need some guidance. You'll also need a razor -blade-type scraper, a small Allen wrench that fits the lockscrew on your mirror's baseplate, a grease pencil or some masking tape and, depending on your particular circumstances, a tape measure and a heat gun or hair dryer.[/align][align=center]Ready?[/align][align=center]Prepare to work outside with the windows open, as the adhesive kit will probably contain acrylic acid, methacrylic ester and trichloroethylene, which you don't want to breathe in large quantities. [/align][align=center]Because the adhesive cures faster in warm ambient temperatures, plan on using the heat gun or hair dryer to warm the glass if you're forced to do this job on a cold day. But use common sense. Ice-cold glass will not appreciate being blasted by inte nse heat. You'll almost definitely crack the windshield this way. To avoid this, hold the heat gun or hair dryer about 12 to 18 in. away from the glass and waft the warm air back and forth to gradually increase the glass temperature. And make sure t o scrape off the old glue before warming the glass or you'll create a gooey mess. An alternative is to park the car facing the sun for a few hours before beginning the job.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]If the old mirror left behind an obvious amount of residue on the inside of the glass, you won't need the tape measure to locate the midpoint of the windshield. But if you, say, forgot to mark the spot before you cleaned the glass completely, simply measure halfway across the top of the window and about 3 to 4 in. down from the headliner, and that will be your new mounting point. [/align][align=center]You can begin the remounting process by marking the outside of the window with a grease pencil over the area where the old glue is. Or you can cordon off the area on the inside with masking tape. (Some sort of mark is useful should you get interrupted after removing the old glue.) The latter is the neater way to work, but lea ve adequate room around the work area for scraping and cleaning. Now, go at the old glue with your scraper. Once you're down to smooth glass again, wipe the spot down with isopropyl alcohol to get it squeaky clean. Do the same thing on the back of t he mirror baseplate so that you have clean metal to work with. Don't touch either surface once it's cleaned or the oil that comes off your fingers will contaminate it.[/align][align=center]The acceleration phase[/align][align=center]The accelerant (primer) vial will have a double wall of plastic. The inside wall is designed to crack open when you bend the tube. The outside wall simply flexes. This allows the accelerant to drench the felt tip of the vial without leaking out all over your hands. Apply the accelerant liberally to the mounting point on the glass. It needs 5 minutes to dry. [/align][align=center]In the meantime, use your Allen wrench to undo the lockscrew and release the mirror from its baseplate. It's much easier to g lue the baseplate onto the windshield first and install the mirror later. Working with the whole assembly is too awkward. [/align][align=center][b]Once the baseplate is free, goop up its flat mounting surface with the accelerant and let it dry, as well. Don 't touch either of the treated areas as

Old 09-21-2007, 11:53 AM

I've had to reattach mine twice on my '01. Go to your local auto parts and pickup the glue kit they make for reattaching the plate to the window. Make sure you attach just the plate first and let it dry before attaching the mirror.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

try using some 2000 grit sandpaper on the metal peice first

Old 09-21-2007, 12:43 PM

Good God that is some good info!!

Old 09-21-2007, 01:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: 04 Intimidator

Good God that is some good info!!
When done right, it should hold up a good ten years or more.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:34 PM

Wow Spacerider, thanks, that helps a lot.

01Pacecar, there seems to be an outlined trim that is made for the mirror mounting piece. This trim is part of the black strip that comes down from the headliner do I remove all of it or just the inside of the outlined trim where it looks like the old adhesive was?
I'll try to upload a picture of what is left on the inside windshield.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3133/EF63EBF189854C2B98832D45E17B1A8E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3133/3CBD89BA41954504BD76A30410A94CD3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-22-2007, 07:42 AM

Just clean up where the old adhesive was, you want all the black to stay if you can. I used a razor blade and gently scraped off the old adhesive keeping the blade flat with the glass.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:37 AM

I also put a little gas on a rag and rub out the remaining. Vinegar may work as well.