Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

01 Monte Carlo SS - Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 11:53 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You're fast!
Sorry, I'm replying between other tasks.
The GM part# is for the OEM ones. They just through the GM part# in on the Dorman one for association.
They Dorman one might be OK, but I heard one story about a Dorman lower intake manifold not fitting. Made in China, so their cast parts might not be so good.

They OEM aluminum ones are good so long as the strut mounts are good.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:31 PM

I may have jumped the gun there. I ordered the 50 dollar one... hope it works....

I am dead int he water now... I had not thought ahead and cannot find a 36mm axle socket in the dinky town I live in....

So in regards to the upper dog bones... other that the one part you said to order to replace the broken mount. how can I tell if I need to change anything else?

Should I merely replace the bushings or order the complete assembly.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member

The dog bones are only like $20 each as I recall, so I would do that.

GM OEM Engine Torque Strut Mount 10420009 | eBay

Old 07-24-2016, 04:54 PM

So this car had an EGR issues.. I replaced it and just today I saw it threw p401s... wondering what else could be causing it now that the car has a new EGR valve.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member

You mentioned previously that a shop will be replacing the UIM tomorrow for a leak, That leak is probably caused by a melted EGR passage in the plastic UIM where the EGR stove pipe passes hot gas into the plenum. Hopefully they will be replacing the UIM with a redesigned one with a smaller stove pipe to resolve future melt downs. The problem will probably be resolved with replacement of the UIM. It's unusual to have an EGR passage blockage in a 3800, unlike a 3100 or 3400.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:12 AM

Well, the story I got from the service staff at the GM dealership..... $750+ dollars for just upper and lower intake gaskets. It did not include any new UIM. I asked about EGR issues and the known concern and he said there were none with this engine. They said that they felt the new P404 was due to the exhaust leak that happened after putting in the motor mounts. They are going to fix the leak today so we will see..... I still have no idea exactly where it was leaking coolant. I will have to see if I can get a straight answer from them today. I never saw a visible leak and never saw any coolant in the oil.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member

This is exactly why I do my own work.

Why replace just a UIM gasket when the UIM itself is known to fail as described above and has to be removed anyway?
For another $70 (from Rock Auto) you get a whole new UIM that includes the gasket, PCV, injector o-rings.....everything you need.

As for the P0404/ exhaust leak, did you not disconnect the exhaust?

Last edited by plumbob; 07-26-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:04 PM

Yeah, I am sorta kicking myself but live an learn.

No, I didn't disconnect the exhaust. The break/leak appears to have been way in the back right before it splits out into each muffler.

How hard is it to do the UIM? Does that require draining any of the coolant?

Old 07-26-2016, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member

Don't feel bad, we all make mistakes and we learn from them. As for the level of difficulty, just a matter of time and patience, and an inch/pound torque wrench besides the standard tools. As for the level of difficulty, you know your skill level best. Hardest part is figuring out how to unlock the electrical connectors...Lol.
This project is a real confidence booster, and we'll be here when you run into trouble. There are lots of YouTube tutorials.

Here's a good one:

Old 07-28-2016, 08:28 AM

Well, I got the car back and the bill with the fixed exhaust was $938.15..... All fine and dandy until last night.... I was out mowing my lawn and noticed a huge coolant leak under the front drivers side..... Took it back out to the GM dealer - it was gushing coolant everywhere.... I figured it was a loose hose or petcock not fully closed.....

Well. they just called and now are telling me the radiator is shot and needs to be replaced... I am no mechanic but would have thought this would have been noticed by the mechanic working on it. I assume that its normal to pressure test the system after replacing gaskets to repair a coolant leak.

Service Manager says the seam on the end cap is loose and that is where the coolant is coming from.....

I have not time to deal with it so its going to cost me another $500

I bought this car for my kid for going off to college... It was a one owner and seemed squeaky clean but sure has turned out to be a hell of a lemon.

Plus this GM dealer in my experience is a crap shoot... sometimes you take your vehicle to be fixed and they fix the issue but it comes back with something else wrong... other times not.

I would not put anything past these guys just to make another buck off of someone. Its happened to me more than once.

However, I don't have any other service shop around - sorta like the presidential candidates... neither are the best choice so I have to pick the one that I think is most competent but both are out to screw me.

Last edited by spankurmonkey; 07-28-2016 at 08:31 AM.