Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

"service engine soon" light

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Default "service engine soon" light

Hey,i own a 95 MC Z34,and my driver-side powerwindow switch went bad.(i still could open the passenger window).I decided to unplug it and heck what was wrong with it;I probably messed up something inside cause as i was driving stopped at a light,i decided to plug it back,suddently the "service engine soon" light came on the engine became silent but didnt die and when i pushed on the gas,the engine took a while to respond(idling high as normal),it took a few second to car to go;letter on i found out that the cruise control, both power windows,the rear defogger,the A/C and heat vents were not working anymore.I thought it was just a question of replacing some fuses,but i checked them and they are all fine.
Cold anybody help me out with this problem?
Thanks

Old 04-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Default RE: "service engine soon" light

It sounds like you created a short in the system when you pluged the switch back into the system and drew power away from the ignition system...

How did you check the fuses? If by eye sight I would re-check them with an Ohm meter. Secondly, if the spike was severe enough it may have fried wires or fusable links in the circuit. Unfortunatly I do not have a schematic or 95 experience to help you on this one.... If no one else here can help out over the net I would hunt down a good electrical shop in your area...