Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Replaced CKP - Car will not start + pop noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 10:38 PM
Question Replaced CKP - Car will not start + pop noise

Hello, new here and have been lurking since I've owned my 2001 Monte SS. This site has proved to be incredibly helpful with problems that have been answered in the past however it is of my great displeasure to actually have to post a thread of my own.

Prior to me tackling this job my car was in good working order other than the stalling/occasional loss of power. I have had the problem with the sensor for longer than I'm willing to admit, I was never bothered enough by it to have it changed sooner. Finally decided to take on the task today, and other than a few hiccups the installation went well. I used the starter method to loosen the HB bolt, took a few tries to get her loose.

When I attempt to start the car it cranks and it seems like it wants to start but instead I hear some kind of pop noise and a small amount of smoke arises from around the throttle body area. I am absolutely stumped on what to do here. If you need any more information I will provide. Thank you for looking.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:05 PM

have you checked for a loose ground? someone had an issue of their car not starting and it ended up being a loose ground around that area

Old 06-08-2015, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by KingWord
have you checked for a loose ground? someone had an issue of their car not starting and it ended up being a loose ground around that area
I didn't see anything like that. Hope it wasn't missed.. I did notice some kind of pipe in that area had a few small dents but nothing. Tried starting again today, she still cranks but instead of working there goes that pop sound again and also the smoke is DEFINITELY coming from the throttle body/air filter area.

I will state an additional observation, it appears that the longer the car attempts to crank the more smoke arises. Also I will note that my car has always seemed to make a high-pitch whine noise, however that did not interfere with the performance. That's all I got for now.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:11 AM

What is a CKP?

Old 06-09-2015, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by SSilver
What is a CKP?
I believe it's the proper abbreviation for Crankshaft Position Sensor though I've seen it called CPS too; which is more understandable.

This morning I took out the MAF and cleaned her up nicely, gave another try at starting and smoke starting arising from another place. If you were standing at the front of the car, the location of the smoke would be underneath the top left corner of the engine cover.

I really wish I had more tools to check different aspects of the car.

The only thing I can think of that I did wrong was the way I held the flywheel while using the starters torque to loosen the HB bolt. I don't see how something major could have gone wrong that won't allow the car to start when it was just sitting untouched.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:38 PM

Can't be anything major, only related to the work you've done. Sounds like an electrical connection is somehow backwards. The starter wires hooked up wrong is where I would start...The "smoke" - is it electrical or from the engine?

Old 11-28-2015, 06:31 PM

I started a thread about year prior to yours with exactly the same problem. In case you still need advice, see it here:

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...acement-48355/