Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Opinion Needed: Custom overhead console

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 06:32 AM
Default Custom overhead console

So when I got my car (03 SS), the overhead console was completely removed with the wires cut off. How would I go about building a new one and attaching it? I don't like the way the original looks, and since I gotta do the wiring anyway, I wanna make one that suits my taste in style. I mostly need help with the wiring part and ideas for materials

Old 11-05-2021, 07:47 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool

Originally Posted by Metalunicorn00
So when I got my car (03 SS), the overhead console was completely removed with the wires cut off. How would I go about building a new one and attaching it? I don't like the way the original looks, and since I gotta do the wiring anyway, I wanna make one that suits my taste in style. I mostly need help with the wiring part and ideas for materials
This is something on my project list too! I visit some U-pull it yards now and then and I look for a console that might work.
No results yet but I am not giving up the ones I have seen were broken..
That would be my first go to. then you could also find the one that you have and see how it's wired get it and between the 2 of them you can customize what you like. Sunroofs are a problem? that has to be a shorter one.
Now as long as you are there take the headliner down and see once what it looks like so you know how to attach the custom one take pictures and measure it so see what you got.

Old 11-05-2021, 10:00 AM

I've done a few back in my car audio days. IMO the easiest DIY option is to make it out of fiberglass (or the same technique with thin fabric as a sub for actual fiberglass).

Depending on how intricate the mount was, I'd usually hack off the base a factory one to build off of (so you're not trying to precisely replicate screw hole patterns / clip spacing / etc).

I dunno what to tell you about the wiring- that depends what all you want to put in the new one. If all you're doing is keeping the same factory buttons (just with a custom housing), I'd go buy a complete stock one from the JY and cut off a chunk of the harness behind the switch panel so you can splice it in.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 11-05-2021 at 10:03 AM.