Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Speaker help

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Speaker help

Ok........ I am not very good at speaker stereo stuff so here's where I need some help.

I have a box and an amp that I have had for quite some time that I am going to attempt to hook up in my monte......

The speakers are 16" Crunch and the amp is a Jensen. The box is made by The Crunch and it's the "Bandpass Series" box. I had a local stereo shop hook this set up for me in another car and they used a little black box that ran from one of the cars factory speakers to the AMP.

My question is, what is the best method of hooking this thing back up?

A little more info, the amp was/is screwed to the back of the box and all power cords ran to the amp.

Another thing I was wondering, is there a way to piggy back off the existing factory amp in the trunk?

TVW

Old 06-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Default RE: Speaker help

in most cases when you hook up a amp you take the stereo wires and hoiok them to teh amp then you split them off the amp to each speaker you want hooked in to your system.

this runs all of your speakers off of the amp.

as for the piggy back system I have not herad of one yet but let us know if you find one i would liek to do the same thing and if i dont have to get rid of a good am i wont i will use it to push the front higs in the car. or the mids in the front

Old 06-10-2005, 12:45 AM

ORIGINAL: tvanwinklehome

Ok........ I am not very good at speaker stereo stuff so here's where I need some help.

I have a box and an amp that I have had for quite some time that I am going to attempt to hook up in my monte......

The speakers are 16" Crunch and the amp is a Jensen. The box is made by The Crunch and it's the "Bandpass Series" box. I had a local stereo shop hook this set up for me in another car and they used a little black box that ran from one of the cars factory speakers to the AMP.

My question is, what is the best method of hooking this thing back up?

A little more info, the amp was/is screwed to the back of the box and all power cords ran to the amp.

Another thing I was wondering, is there a way to piggy back off the existing factory amp in the trunk?

TVW
This is my forte, I love car stereo stuff! I have been installing systems for as long as I've been driving so I know just enough to get me in trouble

The black box you are talking about is called a high to low converter, it's what you use to connect an amp to a head unit that does not have RCA outputs. What it does is splices off the speaker leads to provide an output signal for the amp, be it rca's or speaker level connections. Being that it's a factory deck, it doesn't make a difference what one you use as the quality will be the same, I would suggest going with the high level connections if your amp accepts it. Otherwise, you'd have to buy a set of rca's which is an unnecessary expense if your amp has high level input.

That being said, and assuming you are running off the stock head unit, that is the best, and only, way to hook it up. I'm not sure if you know or not, but the way to tell if you amp has a high level input is to look for a spot where a harness plugs in, it's usually on the opposite side of the amp from the RCA's. If there is no plug, your amp doesn't have high level inputs.

The only thing I'd piggyback off the existing amp is the high to low converter for the output signal to the amp, in which case you just splice into the speaker wires, nothing to it. I would not use the power supply or ground off the existing amp for a couple reasons. #1, it is fused for 1 amp only, adding another amp to it's power supply will cause you to blow fuses constantly due to the increased amperage draw. #2 is cause I doubt the factory wiring could handle the draw your bass amp is gonna be pulling. You could, however, utilize the remote lead off the existing amp to turn your bass amp on, that wouldn't be a problem, again, just splice into it. So you'd have to run a dedicated power lead from the battery to the amp, making sure it's fused within 16" of the battery, and ground the amp within 12" of the amp, making sure the ground and power leads are the same guage.

Hope that answered your questions, if not, give me a holler.

Old 06-10-2005, 10:54 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hummmmmmm... I guess I will just have to dig into it and see where I get. I'll post pics and more detail of my proposed set up and pics of the speaker wires. I think the amp does have a plug for a high level input. But where would the wires run from? The factory head?

Thanks for the help "Big Rich"

TVW

Old 06-10-2005, 12:30 PM

ORIGINAL: tvanwinklehome

Hummmmmmm... I guess I will just have to dig into it and see where I get. I'll post pics and more detail of my proposed set up and pics of the speaker wires. I think the amp does have a plug for a high level input. But where would the wires run from? The factory head?

Thanks for the help "Big Rich"

TVW
No problem

No, you don't have to mess w/the head unit at all, just splice into the wires on the existing amp...I'd use the rear speaker wires.