Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Low beam headlight issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:14 PM
Default Low beam headlight issue

I dont have low beam headlights! We had the DRL's then they started to cut out. Flash the high beams and the DRL's would come on, but no low beams. This fix quit working 2 days ago. The bulbs have been checked. All fuses checked, and the headlight relay was swapped with the horn relay(same relay). The horn still works. Turn signals and running lights work. Dash dimmer switch checked and nothing broken, it still dims and turns the dome light on. Still get the warning tone when its turned on.. Can someone help?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:57 PM

DRL module is defective or the wiring to the lights or module sounds like either with the flickering thing i'd get a wiring schematic and trace the wires first and look for green death.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Zod642
I dont have low beam headlights! We had the DRL's then they started to cut out. Flash the high beams and the DRL's would come on, but no low beams. This fix quit working 2 days ago. The bulbs have been checked. All fuses checked, and the headlight relay was swapped with the horn relay(same relay). The horn still works. Turn signals and running lights work. Dash dimmer switch checked and nothing broken, it still dims and turns the dome light on. Still get the warning tone when its turned on.. Can someone help?

Thanks in advance.
i have that same problem with my 01 Monte the driver side headlight works but the passenger side hi/low beam doesnt work at all im still searching for a solution if i find anything out i'll inform u u do the same

Old 04-18-2010, 09:35 PM

I thought I had a serious issue because one of my high beams didn't work. So I got a new blub to replace what I thought was a bad bulb nothing still didn't work. I checked all the usual stuff. I look at the pins and the connection and a couple pins were corroded. So that was my problem. It's worth a shot at checking. Probably not the issue but another idea.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:45 PM

durring the day your ambient sensor has your high beams (drl) on but at a dim setting. you can flash your brights and they will get brighter but it will still be from the same bulb. once night approaches, it will switch to your low beams and then you can use both low and high bulbs. see if you cant check your ambient sensor to see if it is putting out constant ohms or staying active durring light and no lighted periods. it may be your cause. its the little black ball that is a half sphere and sits on your dash by the front windshield defogger. hope this helps or leads you to something

Old 04-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Default The solution

OK guys we have been fixed! After removing the steering wheel cover, exposing the multi-function switch, I found that you would have to remove the steering wheel to remove the mutli switch. Too much work for me. So we took it to our trusted mechanic and $600 later the switch, with a 42" wiring harness attached, was replaced and all is good. I have the old switch and may try and rebuild it at a later time. When/if that happens ill update this post. Dealer wanted $525 for the switch and my mechanic found it for $381. Sorry guys wish I could have posted a cheaper fix or told you how to fix without buying parts, but this is reality.
Good luck to all and thanks to all who replied with help. This is a great forum!!

Zod642

Old 04-21-2010, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Zod642
OK guys we have been fixed! After removing the steering wheel cover, exposing the multi-function switch, I found that you would have to remove the steering wheel to remove the mutli switch. Too much work for me.
if you have the 2000-05 monte body style, you shouldnt have to remove steering wheel, i never did to get mine out...most should be behind the bezel and that will pull out with the wheel tilted down. side shifter down with foot on brake if you have side shifter

Old 04-22-2010, 12:08 PM

Obviously not relevant if you had a multi-function switch issue, but to others with front-clip issues (horn, headlights, DRLs, turns, park lamps) I have found many of these problems can be fixed simply by cleaning up the ground Stud by the driver side rad shroud (6th gen). Seems to get pretty corroded and provides intermittent ground.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Talking 2003 Monte Low Beams out - FIXED!!!!!

Dyonysis - YOU F-ING ROCK!!!!!!!!!!! My low beams recently stopped working AGAIN (I fixed it the first time with a new mutlifunction switch). I have been going nuts over this and have been to literally thousands of webpages. I've tried everything was about to try to buy a new BCM and get it programmed and all that noise. What an F-ing waste that would have been. I just stumbled on your note about cleaning the ground by the radiator shroud. I thought "No way" but tried it anyway - AND MY LOW BEAMS CAME BACK!!

You are a life saver. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Old 01-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 98Z34
Dyonysis - YOU F-ING ROCK!!!!!!!!!!! My low beams recently stopped working AGAIN (I fixed it the first time with a new mutlifunction switch). I have been going nuts over this and have been to literally thousands of webpages. I've tried everything was about to try to buy a new BCM and get it programmed and all that noise. What an F-ing waste that would have been. I just stumbled on your note about cleaning the ground by the radiator shroud. I thought "No way" but tried it anyway - AND MY LOW BEAMS CAME BACK!!

You are a life saver. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
family site..

glad you figured it out tho!

Quick Reply: Low beam headlight issue