Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Instrument cluster lights ?????

Old 10-20-2011, 06:01 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Instrument cluster lights ?????

Hello, I've got a huge problem with my instrument cluster lights. The air bag, seat belt, brake, abs, check engine, turn signal , hazards, high beam lights ALL WORK AS THEY SHOULD. that being said. When the sensor turns on due to darkness my cluster lights that light up the instruments, door locks, odometer, mirror, tach, oil, amps, fuel, hvac lights do not turn on. It happened all at once the other day. I haven't a clue what happened. I'm not good with electronics but this needs to be corrected ASAP. As for night driving none of the above lights work. I installed a second compleate (I had a back up) instrument cluster installed and the same thing happens. I thought it was a fuse , but checked them all, under the hood and both side of the dash with none bad. ANY IDEAS ARE MORE THEN WELCOME. Please help me. I am compleat
Y in the dark (no pun intended)I unplugged the PCM for 24 hours to see if that's the problem because I'm out of ideas. Is THIER a disable link somewhere under the dash? A burned wire? Something shorted out??? NO clue guys. Baffles me bad, has this happened to anyone else's. Anything I can do, it's to dangerous to be be driving at night.7

Old 10-20-2011, 09:37 AM

I was having a lot of cluster issues and two of my wires in the harness under the coolant tank were the issue. Check these out!

Old 10-20-2011, 09:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Could also be a problem with the headlight switch.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Default Another thing?

Originally Posted by NovaSS369
I was having a lot of cluster issues and two of my wires in the harness under the coolant tank were the issue. Check these out!
Hello and thanks, I'll check it tomorrow, do you know what color the wires are? Or how do I tell if they are the problem and what did you do to fix it? BUT I don't know if it's related or not, but my running lights (tail lights)stopped working as well. Do not know if it happened at the same time or not, but noticed tonight. I hate electronics (working or fixing anyhow) I suck at it...lol... I'll find a way to check it all out, it's strange though. ... I was putting my dash back together, wonder if I shorted something out.... I don't know ... Thanks for the help, I will persue all leads on help... Thanks....Mjc

Old 10-25-2011, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Could also be a problem with the headlight switch.
+1. It wouldn't hurt to tear the dash off and take a look at your headlight switch. Mine is burnt out and I'm having your EXACT symptoms with a few extras...

Old 11-11-2011, 06:17 PM

I have the same problem with my 2004 Monte Carlo - no dashboard lights, tail lights, and one of the windshield wipers stopped working also.... I took it to the shop and was told that it was the rely switch.....and it would cost 985.00 to replace what are your thoughts before I have it fixed?

Old 11-12-2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by angelbill6930
I have the same problem with my 2004 Monte Carlo - no dashboard lights, tail lights, and one of the windshield wipers stopped working also.... I took it to the shop and was told that it was the rely switch.....and it would cost 985.00 to replace what are your thoughts before I have it fixed?
I would without a doubt test every single fuse 2 times if you have to, I'd even pull the fuse that "may" be the problem and replace it. For some reason the first time I checked the fuse it was GOOD? (without a doubt I either did it wrong, or missed the fuse, fuses are either good, or bad, they only show 1 issue, will not change, so I did it wrong the first time.") The second time, just before I was going to take it in because I didn't know what else to do, I went over every fuse again, and BAM! Found the bad one, replaced it, LIGHTS, BRAKES AND ALL WORKED AGAIN, 25¢ fuse ! Whew ! Good luck, that's what I'd try, there is even a relay in the fuse panel for it, to make sure it wasn't that, I swapped one to another to see if it worked, but it had no effect, but could just have well been the issue. DON'T FORGET THOUGH...I HAVE heard of some people messing with their wiring and accidentally set off their AIR BAG.... BE CAREFUL you don't short out any wires, or stuff, you just may end up with an air bag deploying (not saying you will , just an FYI... good luck and hope you don't have to pay that huge amount... Mjc Btw, did the wipers go out at the same time as the lights?

Also, just looked in the manual, there is a "fusible link" in the loop as well I'll try to think of a way to copy that section of my manual and e mail it to you... Mjc...

Old 12-05-2011, 04:58 PM

I replaced the headlight switch and WALA dash lights work normal again.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:07 PM

You guys are killing me!! I just experienced the same situation on my '02 ss. Any details on the headlight switch? Part number, cost, ease of replacement, procedure etc.

Thanks

Old 12-13-2011, 04:46 PM

My headlights havent been working for like 6 months lol. I just unplugged my fog lights and used that fog light plug in my headlight bulb and it works lol. At night I just have to press the fog button for the headlights :P

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Instrument cluster lights ?????