Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Help me please. No interior lights, no rear defog

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 01:51 AM
Unhappy Help me please. No interior lights, no rear defog

Here's what happened. Installing my radio, I shorted my radio illumination wire (var +12V) to ground and after some sparks and a lil smoke, I no longer have any instrument cluster lighting, climate control lighting, door lighting. The PDR123 (gear selector indicator)/Odometer works in the day but at night goes very very dim and my rear defog will not work. I found a 2A PWR Mirror fuse blown and a 20A fuse going to my alarm blown. Replaced both fuses and now all the interior lights will illuminate but only when flashing with the alarm. I disassembled and reassemble the headlight/dimmer switch with no visual damage seen. What else is common with this circuitry that I can try to troubleshoot? Please help me out with this, I am having to drive with a lil flashlight at night to check my speed

Old 12-13-2010, 08:47 PM

I don't know for certain what fuse you should look for, but I would go through every fuse in all 3 fuse blocks and check for any blown ones. I'm pretty certain you simply have a blow fuse or fuses somewhere. I know it sucks but I think if you spend a little time doing this you'll have it figured out in no time.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:10 AM

Thanks DBS. You were exactly right. I had gone through each and every fuse I don't know how many times with an ohmmeter and they all checked good. I finally pulled the tail light fuse and that was my blown fuse. It threw me off that a circuit could read as a short without a fuse or a blown fuse in the circuit. Put a new fuse in and everything works now.....except for my daytime driving lights It's looking like my light sensor on the dash may be the culprit. I can throw a towel over the sensor and there is no change to any of the lights that are supposed to change when it senses that it is dark outside.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by USMCdevildog
Thanks DBS. You were exactly right. I had gone through each and every fuse I don't know how many times with an ohmmeter and they all checked good. I finally pulled the tail light fuse and that was my blown fuse. It threw me off that a circuit could read as a short without a fuse or a blown fuse in the circuit. Put a new fuse in and everything works now.....except for my daytime driving lights It's looking like my light sensor on the dash may be the culprit. I can throw a towel over the sensor and there is no change to any of the lights that are supposed to change when it senses that it is dark outside.
Not a problem man, glad I could help.

Fuses are some tricky lil' bastards, especially the one's where the filament is intact but it won't pass a continuity check. But since it's not visibly blown, you pass it off as good and continue trying to find the culprit elsewhere. Not a good time! So your DRL's don't work or your auto-lights?

Old 12-15-2010, 05:29 AM

DBS, my driving lights are not coming on now. My low beams are on all the time (car is on and in gear). I can switch back and forth from low to hi beam but no drl's. I can cover the sensor or shine a light into it and there is no effect what so ever. This time I DID pull the related fuses and all fuses check good. I swapped the relay with an known good one with no change. I did take apart the headlight switch to troubleshoot my interior lighting problem but can't see that being the problem. The switch is just an over engineered rheostat. Which makes me think the ambient light sensor is the fault. After reading this forum it sounds like more people like no drl's better so I may just leave it. i just hate knowing there is a bad component somewhere. If anyone wants no drl's, short the wires behind your radio LOL

Old 12-16-2010, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by USMCdevildog
DBS, my driving lights are not coming on now. My low beams are on all the time (car is on and in gear). I can switch back and forth from low to hi beam but no drl's. I can cover the sensor or shine a light into it and there is no effect what so ever. This time I DID pull the related fuses and all fuses check good. I swapped the relay with an known good one with no change. I did take apart the headlight switch to troubleshoot my interior lighting problem but can't see that being the problem. The switch is just an over engineered rheostat. Which makes me think the ambient light sensor is the fault. After reading this forum it sounds like more people like no drl's better so I may just leave it. i just hate knowing there is a bad component somewhere. If anyone wants no drl's, short the wires behind your radio LOL
LMAO!

Well bro, I know lots of 6th gen guys are envious of you. I know a few who have been dying to get rid of their DRL's. If bbengineer was here more i'm sure he could help you troubleshoot. After checking fuses, the depth of my knowledge on the subject is tapped Hopefully you get it figured out one way or the other though, just for sanity's sake.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:42 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Painless wiring told me they could fabricate me a kit to turn off the daylight driving lights or a switch to turn off all the lights even at night, no brake lights and all. Could be good if you have to ditch someone on you at night (Wink wink). Our military vehicles have the ability to turn off all the lights when operating in a "Contact is possible" area.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:05 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

for the headlights there is a relay, i would check that.