Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

factory amp specs

Old 09-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Default factory amp specs

does any one know what the factory amp specs are? i know that gm says that its a 200 watt amp but does anyone know what the true RMS wattage is?? i have heard anything from 10 wpc rms to 35 wpc rms.....

Old 09-27-2007, 05:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008
Default RE: factory amp specs

[align=center]Touch Question to Answer without all the variables being known.[/align][align=center]
Output power of audio amplifier

The output power is a important characteristic for audio amplifiers.[/align][align=left]
Introduction
Amplifiers have a specific power, which is indicated in Watts. The power is the product of current and voltage. In a loudspeaker the supplied electrical power is converted almost exclusively in heat. Only a fraction of the electrical power can be converted from loudspeakers into sound energy. This relationship describes the efficiency, which is indicated in per cent. Without proving it, e.g. a sound power of 30 Watts would cause an indescribable volume.
With hifi the amplifier power output is measured by alternating voltages. Measuring with DC voltage everything would be simpler. Measuring with DC voltages is not possible. Most audio amplifier does not transfer DC voltages. The background for it is that a woofer coil can be easily destroyed by DC voltage, therefore is in such a way designed the amplifiers that DC voltage is not amplified.
Meaning of the output power for an audio amplifier
How much output power needed, in addition a few questions: [/align][align=left]
[ul][*]How loud do you want to hear?[*]How large is s the efficiency of your loudspeaker?[*]How large is your room and how far far away sits you from the loudspeakers?[*]How does the distortion factor of your amplifier with increasing volume change with your loudspeaker?[*]How well can your amplifier dissipate the developing heat to the ambience? [/ul][/align][align=left]Can you answer these questions clearly? Probably you do not know actually needed power output. I also not. It is perfectly indifferently how much power output an hifi amplifier has. The amp must supply only the desired volume in the desired quality with your loudspeakers. It is technically possible to build an amplifier with only 30 Watts that is better than a 200 Watt amplifier with same low volume level. With high loads, which demand more than rated output, to which "small one" naturally throws up the sponge, might be logical. The question of which amplifiers the better one is, that with 30 Watts or with 200 Watts, it is not a question of the power, but alone a question of the construction, specification and the electrical special equipment (e.g. protective circuits for amplifiers and loudspeakers).
[/align][align=left]What would you have rather?
A formula 1 engine with 800 HP or a modern marine diesel with 800 HP?
I rather take a modern marine diesel.
Why? The marine diesel has a torque plot, of it dreams the formula 1 engine at night. The marine diesel has a long service life and a full power firmness, of it dreams the formula 1 engine during whole race.
In the comparison, many amplifiers must be built after economical considerations. The placement robot in the assembly hangar, it must be constant in motion. In mass production the number of elements per equipment is to be small. Expensive elements are not applicable in many cases from cost reasons. The average customer's request required for payable achievement, understandably orients itself mass production to it. A good amplifier with high power and low manufacturing costs to build is a tightrope act.
In addition the elements must be often loaded to to their absolute maximum ratings. The manufacturer calculates by right into his development also that the user demands the maximum power only most rarely. In other words: many of the constructions are not appropriate for continuous stress under full load. Some cooling systems are not appropriate for the rated output. The transistors and thus the heat sinks, become very

Old 09-27-2007, 05:13 PM

[sm=alien.gif][sm=alien.gif]Space is an alien and he goes to college, I bet he can decipher this alien jiberish.[sm=alien.gif][sm=alien.gif]

Old 09-30-2007, 08:37 AM

Hello and than you for the reply. Altho,i was looking for an exact number,ie:rms watts per channel.....Anyone else have any infomation or where i may look to find out?? Thank you all in advance

Old 09-30-2007, 11:12 PM

ORIGINAL: MIKE07083

Hello and than you for the reply. Altho,i was looking for an exact number,ie:rms watts per channel.....Anyone else have any infomation or where i may look to find out?? Thank you all in advance
I have looked and I doubt that information is published. That is why I posted the formulas above so that someone could calculate the 'root, mean, squared' output of the Monte Carlo 200 watt amp.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:14 PM

In fact, I found my FLUKE 8060A True RMS multimeter in my old stuff pile.

I'll try to remember to buy a 9 volt battery and start taking measurements to plug into the equations.