Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Bluetooth Capability on OEM Radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Bluetooth Capability on OEM Radio

2004 MC SS

So, I've seen quite a few people add the PAC Audio PXDX adaptor into their cars to be able to listen to an aux source. The PXDX requires a hard line connection. I called the PAC Audio folks the other day and they actually recommended this guy;

Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

I had searched on their site and never saw it but I found a used one on eBay so I'm giving it a go.

It plugs into the back of the radio like the PXDX, but it allows for me to keep my XM capability. Additionally, the little box has Bluetooth so it won't require a hardline. Plus it requires no splicing like I believe the PXDX does.

I should have it by the end of the week and hope to install the week after. I'm curious and really hopeful it works. Anybody else ever had it?

Old 11-28-2015, 12:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That sounds interesting, let us know how it works.

Here's a thread describing how others have converted their obsolete Onstar system to Bluetooth:

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/in...uetooth-53535/

Old 11-28-2015, 06:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Noticed that the unit in the link is an iSimple with some new features. I've had and older version that makes use of an older 30 pin ipod. I like it, sound is better than through the front aux jack, it powers/charges the ipod. Quality of the hardware is very good to excellent.

For the version I have:
Pros
Plays music through the factory head unit.
Sound is better than when played from headphone jack into aux jack.
Displays artist/title/play list in same format as XM.
Steering wheel controls some functions.
Hides ipod.

Cons
Slow. With 12,000 songs on the 64g ipod it is slow to scroll the list through the HU.
After plugging in ipod it takes awhile to sync up. It starts playing at the last song it was on and shows "UPDATING" on the HU while it syncs. Same every time you stop the car and restart.
No Bluetooth. I use a Scosche BT1000 for hands free speaker phone.

Best use of an old iPod ever. Fill it with songs, plug it in and hide it with velcro under the seat somewhere and forget it. Make a lot of play lists for both your mixes and favorite artists so you don't need to scroll through hundreds of artists to get to ZZ Top or Surfing playlist.

Last edited by Barovelli; 11-28-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I ended up getting mine used on eBay for $80.55. Best $80 I've spent in a long time. The thing sounds awesome and was super easy to install. I'm more intimately aware of how to get my dash off than I would care to admit so from the time I took off the kickplate until the time I put it back on was 40 minutes, and that includes routing the handsfree microphone, the USB cable, and the reset switch. So much easier than splicing any cables.

The Bluetooth sounds great and the steering wheel controls still work.

If I had to come up with a complaint, I would say it's mildly annoying to re-pair the BT each time I start the car, but that takes a whopping 10 seconds on my phone. Also, I think if I was hardlined into the USB this wouldn't be necessary.
Edit: I got in my car this morning and actually paid attention, and actually, my phone was already paired with the iSimple device. The one thing I thought was a complaint was me being an idiot.

Barovelli, I'm just going to use BT primarily so I'll maintain control of song selection on my phone/whatever device is in the car, but I can totally agree it would be frustrating to parse through thousands of songs only using the OE radio interface.

Last edited by farmerjg; 12-08-2015 at 10:29 AM.