Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Aftermarket Stereo Questions

Old 11-21-2014, 04:30 PM
Default Aftermarket Stereo Questions

I am looking to replace my stock radio/head unit in my 06 LT, and i have a few questions before i just buy one and try to install it.
(I have installed plenty of aftermarket stereos in many different vehicles but never anything this new)
1st of all, what will i need to buy? i know im going to need a wiring harness and a dash kit. but is there anything special i need to get so the new radio works? or would the dash kit and wiring harness be enough?
2nd question,(im sure this has been covered before but since im opening a new thread i thought id ask anyways) What is all involved in removing the factory head unit? (Step by step guide with pics or video would be great if anyone has a link)

Old 11-21-2014, 09:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I studied this subject for awhile and decided that the factory unit was ok with an iSimple ipod adaptor.

Most any double DIN unit fits.
Warning chimes require an adaptor.
Steering wheel control needs an adaptor as well.

Removal of the head unit is super simple. Remove the trim piece around the unit & heat controls. Remove 6 screws take heater control out first and out she goes.

Here's a picture of the trim panel that shows where the clips are, and the wide pry tool I used to remove it.

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Stereo Questions-dsc04404.jpg   Aftermarket Stereo Questions-dsc04405.jpg  
Old 11-23-2014, 03:18 AM

So can i get by without the chime or steering wheel adapter for now and install at a later time?

I forgot to mention this earlier but my drivers side front speaker rattles a bit whenever bass frequencies are played, but not mid range or highs.(seems to be from the door panel somewhere around the plastic speaker cover) A buddy of mine is having the same issue with his new 06 LT but his is much worse. so my last question is, Has anyone else had this issue? and if you have what was causing the rattle? and what was involved in fixing it? i would like to take care of this before i even consider installing a new head unit.

Any Tips on how and where to run the RCAs, Remote, Power, and Ground to an amp would be greatly appreciated too! (I figured that all though i do not have an amplifier or subwoofer at the moment, i can at least get everything ready for when i do)

Last edited by Roywow; 11-23-2014 at 04:17 AM. Reason: more questions..
Old 11-28-2014, 10:01 AM

What are you really trying to do? Just improve bass a bit or....? Cause if you want a completely different head unit, you can get away without the wheel adapt and chimes, but our adapter is 100 dollars alone, thats minus radio and install. I kept same radio, cause I like the XM feature, and just added different front speakers and a sub in the back and I love it, basic, and it only ran me about 130 bucks and i installed myself.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:52 PM

The harness going from the new unit to the cars wiring harness is $100?!! wow. and i was looking for a new deck and just a sub for now then amp the speakers eventually, but for now i want more equalization options that the factory unit just doesnt have and an aux input or bluetooth that actualy has some volume behind it.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:09 AM

Anyone know about the front drivers side speaker rattle i mentioned before? I plan on working on my stereo this weekend and would like to get an idea on what to look for before This Friday before pulling of my door panel in the 20 degree or colder weather.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:24 PM

Old thread but wanted to see if anyone here ran wires for amp and used components up front...best place you found to run the wiring and where did you mount your box for the components?

Old 09-03-2015, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Scrappy06doo
Old thread but wanted to see if anyone here ran wires for amp and used components up front...best place you found to run the wiring and where did you mount your box for the components?
Haven't installed anything in the Monte, but in my old car I took out the back seat and ran everything along the side underneath the carpet. Little extra work, but it's worth it to hide the wiring.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Scrappy06doo
What do you mean? I mean you need to run your power power and I usually run my amp remote to the fuse box

Old 12-25-2015, 11:30 AM

Old thread but someone may find it useful.
For info You tube is where I went before I removed the factory unit. Excellent info and the Impala/Monte Carlo same (06/07)

Running a sub and two 6 X 9 speakers in back. Ran power cords, remote on cords etc. down one side of car and the audio output from head unit to amps down the other side. Keep them separate to avoid ground loop noise. Also make sure you have a very good ground as I had a lot of issues with lights dimming (if you are going to go over 1000 watts).

I bought my head unit, chime & signal light noise & factory harness interface and dash adapter all from Walmart.
I have included a picture of the set up the dash adapter takes the double din to single din with a nice little shelf for smokes & stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 7th Gen ('06-'07): Aftermarket Stereo Questions