Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Aftermarket HU & Factory Amp

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Smile Aftermarket HU & Factory Amp

Hey everyone...I was wondering if anyone has ever installed an aftermarket head unit and had it run thru the stock factory amp?? Maybe also changed over the factory speakers....If anyone has,please let me know how it turned out and how it sounded...Thanks...

Old 08-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

at first, i had an aftermarket deck and just stock speakers, and it didnt sound great, there was no bass whatsoever, so then i added a sub with aftermarket amp, and the speakers couldnt keep up with the sub, so i got after market speakers and amp with it, personally i thought the speakers sounded like crap using the stock amp which is why i switch to the aftermarket amp, and now it sounds awesome for sure!

Old 08-06-2010, 06:14 PM

Ok,Thank You trewyn15...has anyone else tried this?? Would like to know

Old 08-06-2010, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
at first, i had an aftermarket deck and just stock speakers, and it didnt sound great, there was no bass whatsoever, so then i added a sub with aftermarket amp, and the speakers couldnt keep up with the sub, so i got after market speakers and amp with it, personally i thought the speakers sounded like crap using the stock amp which is why i switch to the aftermarket amp, and now it sounds awesome for sure!
lol thats classic car audio escalation. always change speakers before you change compoenents, it makes much larger differences and once you add subs, and processors. you're just gonna keep escilating. unless thats how you wish to end up but if you just want good sounding, drop in some nice comps up front and some nice coax 6x9's or even some 6 1\2"s with a 6x9 bracket, you'll find much faster results.

the thing with this factory amp on these cars is they use 2 ohm speakers all around, so I'd drop in some of these

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewc..._id=30&f_31=97

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewc..._id=29&f_31=97

those are all 2 ohm speakers, RE would sound exceptional. but i dont see any 6x9 RE's, remember mixing brands should be done with similer sounding speakers, you don't want to put say sony speakers in the back and pioneer's up front, the sonys will be louder at lower wattages, but will have less quality, as the pioneers will sound much duller.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:23 PM

your question was if anyone is running the stock amp and speakers with an aftermarket head unit.
i am and my stock speakers sound great. lots of bass and nice highs from the stock components up front.
i am also running an after market amp with subs. but it still sounded great without the subs....for stock.

you have an SS so you have a better sound system than the LS. thats why trewyn15 wasnt satisfied with the stocks. sounds like eviling has an LS also because hes telling you to put in comonents when you already have components. so when you swap the head unit im sure youll be satisfied with the stock speakers.

Last edited by HPNOTIQracing; 08-09-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:08 PM

Thanks HPNOTIQ racing....I already changed over to aftermarket speakers,Infinity Kappa's, front and rear. I just looking for a better head unit. I think I am going with a pioneer Deh-p7100bt. It seams to have all the bells and whistles that im looking for and i can get a new one for a great price,being that its last years model. I just would like to know if you had any problems running your aftermarket HU into your factory amp? I am going to use the GMOS-04 adaptor being I still have onstar and want the chimes...Let me know what your running as a HU...Thanks

Old 08-09-2010, 06:25 PM

you can just wire it into the deck the wires are already ran tot he amp through the speakers wires behind the deck. you'll need a chime unit though for this car, it's 100$

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120GMOS...r.html?tp=3486

the Metra's GMOS-04 GM Class, i would just order it from there, i really don't see them anywhere else cheaper might find a used one at a crashed monte in a junk yard or on ebay from somebody selling there car.

as far as decks, yeah thats a nice deck. my buddy has one, sounds great and he just runs a sub, with stock speakers off it. also might wanna look into the Alpine CDA-9887, very nice deck, i think it can be had at about around the same price as that pioneer, idk what kind of deal you got though. might be worth going with the pioneer.

also HPNOTIQracing, my monte did come with a component set I just upgraded it, i use JBL c608GTI MKII's, great speakers. i also changed out my rears for some basic 6x9 mid bass drivers from cadence, their great, very soft and offer excellent fill.

Last edited by eviling; 08-09-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by MIKE07083
Thanks HPNOTIQ racing....I already changed over to aftermarket speakers,Infinity Kappa's, front and rear. I just looking for a better head unit. I think I am going with a pioneer Deh-p7100bt. It seams to have all the bells and whistles that im looking for and i can get a new one for a great price,being that its last years model. I just would like to know if you had any problems running your aftermarket HU into your factory amp? I am going to use the GMOS-04 adaptor being I still have onstar and want the chimes...Let me know what your running as a HU...Thanks
this is my head unit.
http://www.mobile.jvc.com/product.js...thId=54&page=1

i had no problems with the install. i got the harness adapter, wired the wires together plugged it in....ready to go.
the harness for your new HU will have a blue w/white wire(that color with most radios) thats the wire that goes to your power ant. or stock amp. in your case youll be using it for your amp. but it will just wire straight to the harness adater your getting.

its a 3 outta 10 job

Old 08-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Default Pioneer Head Unit

Thanks guys....I got my Pioneer deh-p7100bt installed today. My installer tried the GMOS-04 but the volume was so low you couldnt hear it. Then he tried the GMOS-01 and that one was the one that worked! The sound is fantastic,even with it going thru the stock factory amp. So much louder,cleaner,clearer...The Infinity Kappa speakers really sound nice with the new Pioneer deck. All is tied in very nicely with my duel 10" L5 Kicker subs and my ZX750.1 Kicker sub amp....Thanks for all your help in this matter....BTW,Check out the pictures!

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket HU & Factory Amp-picture-012.jpg   Aftermarket HU & Factory Amp-picture-013.jpg   Aftermarket HU & Factory Amp-picture-009.jpg  
Old 08-11-2010, 10:29 AM

hmm never heard that there was another unit, i guess i'm not all that surprised. cheaper it looks too. you still should of done that install your self :P I did my entire cars install, and i really only know what i've learned from the internet course i have a background in computers and electrical. that helped a bit :P

you mount that amp remote up in your pocket under your deck.

i didnt know they made a tony stewart version with automatic.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HU & Factory Amp