Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

2006 Monte Carlo 3LT poor remote range DIY fix?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2006 Monte Carlo 3LT poor remote range DIY fix?

I picked up a new Monte to keep my '88 company, and it only has a couple issues. One is no heat at idle, and I think I can fix that by getting the air out of the heater core by detaching the upper hose and using a funnel to fill it with coolant while holding it upright, reattaching it, then topping off the radiator while the car is running. Seems simple enough.

The other problem is the keyless entry/remote starter range. It's about 10 feet, double that if I hold the remote under my chin.

I'm going to try to fix it myself using the directions found here: Having problem lately with the range of my remote keyless entry. - JustAnswer

The dealer quoted me $600 for the fix, and looking at ebay, I can get the receiver for $18, the remotes for about $17 each, and the new antenna for $35. Seems like I'd be much better off doing it myself, right?

Has anyone done this fix themselves yet? Will I need to have a dealer or shop with a Tech 2 perform the TPM stuff after I finish the physical replacement of the receiver and antenna? Anything else to watch out for?

Old 01-25-2012, 12:39 PM

I have the same issue with my keyless entry/remote start on my 06 SS. The $600 quote seems quite high. From my own research I have found that this seems to be a fairly common problem with a few 06 models, including our cars, the problem itself seems to be the reciever that is on the vehicle itself. My dealer quoted me 70-130 bucks for the receiver and then an additional 50 bucks to program it.

Not dealing with it yet because I'm still in college..so I'll deal with it..lol..so I can't give you an exact price, but perhaps they were wanting to replace the entire system? It seems just the receiver could be replaced and reprogram everything and good to go.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:08 AM

We just had a car in last week, 2006 impala with the 3.5 ltr v6, same heat issue. No heat at idle but when you press the gas the heat would come through the vents.
Ended up being the crossover gaskets, there is actually a bulletine on this, will post later.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:49 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by steelmalu43
We just had a car in last week, 2006 impala with the 3.5 ltr v6, same heat issue. No heat at idle but when you press the gas the heat would come through the vents.
Ended up being the crossover gaskets, there is actually a bulletine on this, will post later.
Thanks, the sales guy said it was just low coolant when I called about it, but if the fix for the bulletin you post is an expensive one, I'll be having it checked out locally to see if I need to drive back to the dealership where I bought the car. It was in New York, and only 32800 miles so I have the statutory warranty for another ~80 days and 3500 miles or so, assuming it's a covered repair.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:54 AM

Hello I'm new on here so bare with me. I recently purchased a 2006 monte with the same issue. Minimal range on the remote keyless entry. Also I've tried to program it so the horn beeps when I lock the door, to no avail. The lights flash but the horn just won't beep. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-18-2012, 07:39 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by mvcjvc
Hello I'm new on here so bare with me. I recently purchased a 2006 monte with the same issue. Minimal range on the remote keyless entry. Also I've tried to program it so the horn beeps when I lock the door, to no avail. The lights flash but the horn just won't beep. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Mine only honks when I push the button twice, I think it's once to lock and twice to set the alarm.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011

as for the remote issue, I haven't done this but.....

i've heard if you take the trim off the drivers side pillar that runs along the inside of the windshield you can get to the antenna for you're remote start and alarm system. All you wanna do is move the antenna from facing inside the vehicle to facing outside and you should be set. I've heard this from a monte guy here in town and a couple impala people too, i just can't say i've ever messed with it (i get decent range the way it is)

Good Luck!

Old 02-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Old 02-01-2014, 02:08 PM

06 Monte Carlo. Had the same problem. Bought the new receiver and antenna and installed it myself. I then took the car to the dealership because it requires programming. The range is fantastic now. The only problem is i can't start the car with the remote anymore. When i push the start button it pops the trunk. The dealer says I now have to replace the main computer as well. Do you think I can go after GM to fix this issue, after all it was a service bulletin and i replaced the parts with OEM bought at dealership.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member

I never did get around to trying to fix this. What all did you replace, pollywog?

Quick Reply: 2006 Monte Carlo 3LT poor remote range DIY fix?