Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

2001 monte carlo LS door speaker replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Default 2001 monte carlo LS door speaker replacement.

ok so i guess im back since this is the place i usually find out the answers to my questions.....i have a 2001 monte carlo with the factory amp in the rear deck, and im wanting to replace the door speakers, i think the driver side is blown. Ive been doing some research and cant seem to figure it all out, I have replaced door speakers from older model vehicles and it was a simple unscrew and reconnect the new set ordeal. I managed to remove the door panel from the monte today and come to find out, there are factory?? tweeters in the door that are wired to the speaker itself.?? are these considered component speakers??? i had a set of low end 6.5's that i was going to throw in the door for temporary relief until i seen the tweeter. but to be honest in looked as the the 6.5 may have been a little bigger than the factory speaker.

ive been running internet searches all day and keep reading something about having to bypass the factory amp?? note for the record the threads i have been reading seem to also have aftermarket head units and i still have the factory cd player installed.

i guess my questions are:
can i replace the door speakers with typical door speakers (non component)??
or are component speakers required since it seems as if that is what was factory installed?
what are cross over boxes? how do they get powered? what wires are ran to the cross over? i cant seem to find any factory cross over box are they even necessary?
will typical speakers sold at bestbuy or such, work well with my factory head unit?
should i keep the factory amp connected? will it work well with the replacement speakers? does that apply with replacing the 6x9's also?

basically i just want to have good sound in my car again, with out the snap crackle and popping at a reasonable price. im not competing or anything like that. any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

i have plans to replace the factory 6x9's next and will most likely have the same questions regarding those.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The stock speakers are component, they also are not 6.5", I think they're 5.25 but 6.5 will fit in there fine if you tighten them down enough, you can put modeling clay around the outside to seal the speaker to the bracket.

You don't have to use component speakers, the 6.5 that you have now ill work fine.

A crossover is what splits the signal to the woofer and the tweeter and the normal speaker wire is ran to the crossover and then a normal speaker wire to the woofer and the tweeter.

There isn't a factory crossover, I think GM sent the speaker wire to the woofer and from the woofer to the tweeter, but don't quote me on that because I'm not 100% sure how it worked.

Honestly, no aftermarket speakers will work great with the stock headunit just because there is very little wattage coming out of the stock headunit, they will work but they won't sound as good as they are capable of sounding.

You can keep the factory amp connected, you'll want some power if you're going to do new speakers. The only reason you might want to remove the stock amp is if you get an aftermarket headunit with good wattage RMS or you plan to run aftermarket amps.

If you're going to replace all speakers you should probably look into a nice 4-channel amp and a headunit to finish off your system.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:18 PM

thanks for your quick reply. youve answered alot, i was just scared that by changing the factory speakers i would lose some sound quality because of things ive read regarding aftermarker car audio when combined with the factory amp, but i guess that only applies if i use an aftermaket head unit with the factory amp????
i use to get all into car audio but 5 years ago or so i had a in dash tv headunit stolen as well as subs and what not so i dont want to invest a lot to get screwed over again. im a little older now with a wife and kid so i dont have to money to waste like i once did. i would like to eventually upgrade the headunit but i dont want to lose the steering wheel controls and i heard that was a pricey get around.

so the factory speaker is 4 ohms, therefore i would only want to replace with a 4 ohm speaker correct?
and since i have plans to actually purchase a pair of better door speakers should i buy a component set with a built in crossover or stick with a standard 2 way speaker?

Last edited by jondjames; 03-04-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:16 PM

Okay so I'm pretty confused about this 2 ohm 4 ohm thing that I'm reading all over the net. I don't think I have the Bose sound package, but do have the factory amp, I removed the door panel to check how many ohms the speakers were and they are stamped 4 ohms as well are the 6x9's. But I've read something about needing 2 ohm aftermarket speakers???? Is this accurate? Can someone just recommend some speakers for me. I don't want to do anything more than change the speaker. Factory everything else. I like alpine, rf, jl audio, etc

Old 03-04-2012, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by jondjames
thanks for your quick reply. youve answered alot, i was just scared that by changing the factory speakers i would lose some sound quality because of things ive read regarding aftermarker car audio when combined with the factory amp, but i guess that only applies if i use an aftermaket head unit with the factory amp????
i use to get all into car audio but 5 years ago or so i had a in dash tv headunit stolen as well as subs and what not so i dont want to invest a lot to get screwed over again. im a little older now with a wife and kid so i dont have to money to waste like i once did. i would like to eventually upgrade the headunit but i dont want to lose the steering wheel controls and i heard that was a pricey get around.

so the factory speaker is 4 ohms, therefore i would only want to replace with a 4 ohm speaker correct?
and since i have plans to actually purchase a pair of better door speakers should i buy a component set with a built in crossover or stick with a standard 2 way speaker?
It's only about $50 to fix the buttons with an aftermarket headunit. Aftermarket speakers sound bad on the stock system, not the other way around.

You can replace with either 4 ohm or 2 ohm, but 4 ohm would be a better idea. Components are better speaker setups overall but with a 2 way speaker you'll still be getting a slight increase in performance over stock.

Okay so I'm pretty confused about this 2 ohm 4 ohm thing that I'm reading all over the net. I don't think I have the Bose sound package, but do have the factory amp, I removed the door panel to check how many ohms the speakers were and they are stamped 4 ohms as well are the 6x9's. But I've read something about needing 2 ohm aftermarket speakers???? Is this accurate? Can someone just recommend some speakers for me. I don't want to do anything more than change the speaker. Factory everything else. I like alpine, rf, jl audio, etc
2 ohm would mean that the speakers would be getting more power from the amp, you should go with a standard 2 ohm speaker or a low wattage 4 ohm if you're looking to keep everything basically stock (amp)

If I were you I would look into some Alpine Type-S or Type-R, they will keep the price down and will be a decent increase in performance over stock, Component or 2-way.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:16 AM

The stock door components ARE 6.5". I am selling the WHOLE set from my 2003 SS in the for sale section ...

Old 03-05-2012, 02:19 AM
Old 03-05-2012, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
It's only about $50 to fix the buttons with an aftermarket headunit. Aftermarket speakers sound bad on the stock system, not the other way around.

You can replace with either 4 ohm or 2 ohm, but 4 ohm would be a better idea. Components are better speaker setups overall but with a 2 way speaker you'll still be getting a slight increase in performance over stock.

2 ohm would mean that the speakers would be getting more power from the amp, you should go with a standard 2 ohm speaker or a low wattage 4 ohm if you're looking to keep everything basically stock (amp)

If I were you I would look into some Alpine Type-S or Type-R, they will keep the price down and will be a decent increase in performance over stock, Component or 2-way.
Sorry for my confusion but first you said that a 4 ohm would be better Then go on to say a 2 ohm speaker or low watt 4 ohm and recommend the type r or type s alpine, those are 4 ohm if im not mistaken, Would they be low enough wattage to be sufficient with factory everything else??

Old 03-05-2012, 08:22 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Zeke
The stock door components ARE 6.5". I am selling the WHOLE set from my 2003 SS in the for sale section ...
but the basket size is smaller, so aftermarket speakers don't fit in the mounting bracket right

Sorry for my confusion but first you said that a 4 ohm would be better Then go on to say a 2 ohm speaker or low watt 4 ohm and recommend the type r or type s alpine, those are 4 ohm if im not mistaken, Would they be low enough wattage to be sufficient with factory everything else??
I would go with a low wattage 4 ohm speaker to match the factory ohms, regardless of the ohms that you get, aftermarket speakers on the factory system won't sound great, they'll just be okay and an amp will really wake them up

Old 03-05-2012, 01:53 PM

@trewyn15: It does depend on the "mounting depth", yes. But even most after market 5.25"s are deeper than stock driver depth. Use a Dremel, or the like, & cut the back out of the OEM basket, & you have a ton of room. Even 6.75"s will fit.

Boston Acoutics SR60s are "shallow mount" drivers that are made to use in these instances where folks do not want to mod very much, but the bass response is for naught.