Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

WizAired box vs. K&N

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 05:28 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default WizAired box vs. K&N

Okay guys, I'm leaning towards this wizair box on ZZPerformance. But I was wandering if K&N is any better. Personally, I don't see either of the ram air functional boxes working as well as one of these would even without ram air. so what do you guys think I should do? Wizair is cheaper nad seems to actually be more researched, but K&N is very good too... what should I do?

Old 07-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Default RE: WizAired box vs. K&N

Does the Wizair setup give performance stats? I saw a report on the K&N CAI that showed a gain of 13.37hp for the 3.8 litre Monte Carlo.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:55 PM

5 Year Member

22 hp on a GTP i think

Old 07-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i can't see actually 22 horsepower...can you post pics so i can see what it looks like??? i have the k&n system and love it

Old 07-28-2007, 08:29 PM

5 Year Member

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...&catid=113

from there you can go to another site that tells you about the performance of it, it says 262.2 hp, but it could have a few additional mods to i guess.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I like the fact that the wizaired box has a cover. I don't like plexiglass. It is brittle. Especially when cold. Lexan is preferred. I like the aluminum vs. steel of the K&N, and that is is insulated. I don't like the wizaired intake tube, nor the smaller filter. I think the K&N has a better intake tube, and a WAY larger filter. I guess it's about 6 of one, half a dozen of the other, but I prefer my K&N with my own lexan cover. If you put on a K&N, you MUST put on a cover to keep the underhood heat out! They get hot!
Forget about the ram air system. WAY too expensive, and you get good air from behind the headlight and the fenderwell. Fenderwell kits have too long of an intake tube. You need as short as possible. AND you need a heat shield. Want ram air for the 1/4 mile? Remove your headlight! Only needed for WOT in my opinion.
You won't get that kind of hp gains on either, maybe 10-12hp on a 3.8SC.
My vote? for the couple of extra bucks, I like the intake tube and the larger filter on the K&N. My 2 cents, and you asked.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2319272

Old 07-29-2007, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member

i'd go for the k*n one over that one, the k&n one has a heat shield that looks like it belongs there

Old 07-29-2007, 09:26 AM

Cowboy,
Most of us researched this question thoroughly before purchasing/making our CAIs. If you feel comfortable making your own, it may be a good option. There are a couple good write-ups on this forum on how to do that. If you'd rather have it professionally engineered, both Wizaired and K&N seem to be good choices.

As for research, K&N has been the industry standard for 30+ years and they know what they're doing. And horsepower gains on our engine will be as good as any you'll find. Plus you get a million mile warranty, which I don't think anyone else does. I agree with the need for a good cover, but you can have one cut to dimension (or cut it yourself) for maybe $20.

As for price, it's really a wash. Wizaired $190 + $44 for filter = $234+shipping (variable) = probably $250 plus.
I got mine from PerformancePeddlers for $208.31 (FREE shipping), add $20 for materials for the cover and you're still ahead.
http://www.performancepeddler.com/de...T_ID=KN57-3045

I love the way the K&N sounds and the extra hp are a lot of fun (see my post 'New mods for my baby' from a week or two ago).

Hope that helps. Happy modding!

Old 08-01-2007, 09:30 PM

I love my Wizaired and I've never seen a post against them as it is a sealed CAI. I've heard of people with the K&N that it doesn't seal properly and engine heat will leak in.

I picked mine up over a year ago when the prices were $240 and they've dropped since then. For HP, they are proven to put 10HP to the wheels which is about 13-14 hp to the engine.

I also like the idea that the Wizaired intake tube it wrapped where the K&N isn't. It's kind of your own preferance, but I love the Wizaired and will always back them.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member

what material is the tube thats under the wrapping though?? the tubing for the k&n one is so thick and it looks like it would be heat resistant....i think either one would work perfectly...i just like the look of the k&n one a little more...and i think they get you the same hp gains

Quick Reply: WizAired box vs. K&N