Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

L67 High Velocity TB?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 05:42 AM
Default L67 High Velocity TB?

My current modification plan, which I am pursuing full steam ahead now, calls for the L36 SS M90 kit, and Turbo Tim from ZZP recommends an L67 HV TB to compliment the system and reduce KR. I looked into it, $200 for the thing and adds anywhere from 5 to 12HP, but it seems really similar to a CAI. I'm already planning on getting the Wizair CAI, is an L67 HV TB required or recommended to go with this sort of setup? I'm only planning on running a 4.2 pulley, and that's where I should stay.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:15 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It couldn't hurt to get a bigger TB. Or headers.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you get it, go used. I wouldn't buy a brand new one from ZZP. Too much money for them.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:22 PM

When I was looking into upgrading my throttlebody, the general consensus among people who ended up going the zzp hvtb route was that they wish they would have just gone straight to the northstar throttlebody.

I guess the zzp throttlebodies don't really add that much performance, but the northstar ones are a bit bigger.

-Riggs.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:45 PM

Turbo Tim from ZZP recommends an L67 HV TB to compliment the system
IMO, take any advice from any vendor with a grain of salt. While it may seem like these places want to help the community, they are still going to push what makes them the most profit, or helps their business the most.

IMO, for $200- 75mm Northstar kits go on clubgp very often for that price or less (I've seen some under $100 in the past; and bare TB's for under $50).

They are probably pushing the ported TB's because the bulk of the cost is in labor- so their profits are higher than for a stock TB adaptor kit.

I definitely agree that a bigger TB is a good mod- but what other mods do you plan to do with the SS kit (and isn't the blower already ported on them?)? I'd reccomend a plog + downpipe (would be right about $200 used)- or headers for that price; but I don't see you having that big of a problem with knock on a 4.2" pulley.

I'm just saying- if you're worried about knock; I could think of a few other bottlenecks to open up before going for the TB that will take out much more KR for the same or less money.

the thing and adds anywhere from 5 to 12HP, but it seems really similar to a CAI.
How so?

I'm only planning on running a 4.2 pulley, and that's where I should stay.
lol; even if you really really mean that- I seriously doubt its going to happen. Once you get used to the instant 40+ hp jump- get bored; and then start to realize how cheap it would be to add another quick 20,30,40hp with basic bolt ons, I bet you'll try at least one pulley size drop some time in the car's life.

Its a lot more addicitive than NA basic bolt on modding- with an NA setup, you gain a little here, lose a little there- and end up not being able to tell much. With boost, you do a mod, can't tell much difference, then up the boost- and smile for the next week

Old 10-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

check out the sale section i have few L67 parts for sale. i think you should do top swap instead. buy my parts so i can have fund for my turbo set up, lol

Last edited by nemesis; 10-12-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte

I definitely agree that a bigger TB is a good mod- but what other mods do you plan to do with the SS kit (and isn't the blower already ported on them?)?
After reading our member, "2003SuperSpot's" thread on his L36 SS M90 kit, and the problems with knock he had, I'm not taking any chances. I'd read he used a 3.8 pulley to start with, which would require you to have many KR reducing mods, which he did happen to have a few backing KR reductive mods. I want to be very well prepared, 180*T-stat, ceramic coated Plog, 2.5 in downpipe, WizairCAI, not sure if Catback exhausts help reduce KR or not, but I'm getting that too. xD

I'm hoping a 4.2 pulley will please me enough, I don't want to get so much power that I have to worry about valve train componets, or transmission strain. I might be able to see myself going down to 4.0 at lowest, but that would be it.

Last edited by Frosty LS1; 10-12-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:01 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think that a lightly modded NA would cause strain on a stock tranny let alone a blower Anyways, I vote for headers instead of the TB. You'll see more gains, less KR, and with just a little more spent then the $200 that ZZP would charge for the TB. Good luck with the build though. I think you'll like your new found power very much.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by zipper
I think that a lightly modded NA would cause strain on a stock tranny let alone a blower Anyways, I vote for headers instead of the TB.
I don't know the credibility of this statement, but ZZP among a few other unnamed sources, say the stock 4t65e transmission is capable of taking up to 300 crank HP without failure. Granted, when you have a more powerful engine you may race it more and that would cause more strain itself, but daily driving shouldn't cause damage.

Headers are an idea I'm considering, to start off with I will add the ceramic coated plog, which will benefit me while I stay N/A, and give me more benefits after supercharging. I may just void the idea of a HV TB altogether if it's not necessary, and I'll already be putting out good power without it, 250-260 crank HP is enough for my tastes.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:58 PM

I'd read he used a 3.8 pulley to start with, which would require you to have many KR reducing mods, which he did happen to have a few backing KR reductive mods. I want to be very well prepared, 180*T-stat, ceramic coated Plog, 2.5 in downpipe, WizairCAI, not sure if Catback exhausts help reduce KR or not, but I'm getting that too
A 3.8" pulley on a top swap is similar to a 3.3" or 3.4" pulley on a normal L67 as far as mods needed to run it.

A 4.2" pulley should be pretty equivalent to a 3.8" pulley on an L67 bottom end- so with the mod list you are looking at already, you should be totally fine with KR unless you have some other sort of mechanical problem (ie oil leaking into the engine or something).

Quick Reply: L67 High Velocity TB?