Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

No P0420 code after running tank of E85?

Old 07-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Default No P0420 code after running tank of E85?

About a week ago, I got the infamous P0420 code and have been meaning to change the cat, but haven't gotten the chance the past few days. Regardless, I decided to fill the tank up with E85 yesterday (regular unleaded here is around $3.65/Gal whereas E85 is $3.03) and after roughly 20 min of driving, my P0420 code went away and the feeling of backpressure that was there (preventing me from speeding lol) is now gone.

Question is: does E85 burn that differently??? I mean, it burns at a higher temp because of the ethanol.. but other than that? I just found it interesting that it burns differently enough that it can pass through the cat with ease, where regular gasoline just builds up pressure..

Old 07-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Ethanol is a clean fuel. Whenever you burn ethanol in your engine, you're also cleaning everything that the ethanol goes through. If your O2 sensor was dirty, it COULD have cleaned it (although I would be a little surprised by that).

I highly recommend running ethanol in vehicles as long as your PCM is ready for it. It's a great high octane fuel.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:53 PM

Sorry- really off topics here:

Indiana I assume? Are you going to Purdue? MET grad '08 here- woot!

Old 07-17-2011, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Sorry- really off topics here:

Indiana I assume? Are you going to Purdue? MET grad '08 here- woot!
Yessir, second year of ME. haha I knew some other Purdue people had good taste in cars

Old 07-18-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by abro22
About a week ago, I got the infamous P0420 code and have been meaning to change the cat, but haven't gotten the chance the past few days. Regardless, I decided to fill the tank up with E85 yesterday (regular unleaded here is around $3.65/Gal whereas E85 is $3.03) and after roughly 20 min of driving, my P0420 code went away and the feeling of backpressure that was there (preventing me from speeding lol) is now gone.

Question is: does E85 burn that differently??? I mean, it burns at a higher temp because of the ethanol.. but other than that? I just found it interesting that it burns differently enough that it can pass through the cat with ease, where regular gasoline just builds up pressure..
Ive been running E85 lately, actually every fill up for the past 2 months... Im not quite sure if i can see a difference in performance, i mean i havnt tested the gains in any way. I actually did switch to E85 in attempt to cure a problem that i thought could be my cat, but it did not work/help. Im just curies too what should be expected from E85? is it going to help our cars live a little longer or something lol?

Old 07-18-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by 06-montelt2
Ive been running E85 lately, actually every fill up for the past 2 months... Im not quite sure if i can see a difference in performance, i mean i havnt tested the gains in any way. I actually did switch to E85 in attempt to cure a problem that i thought could be my cat, but it did not work/help. Im just curies too what should be expected from E85? is it going to help our cars live a little longer or something lol?
Originally Posted by zipper
Ethanol is a clean fuel. Whenever you burn ethanol in your engine, you're also cleaning everything that the ethanol goes through. If your O2 sensor was dirty, it COULD have cleaned it (although I would be a little surprised by that).

I highly recommend running ethanol in vehicles as long as your PCM is ready for it. It's a great high octane fuel.
Like he said ^, ethanol is clean-burning and high octane. So, even though E85 isn't pure ethanol, it's a higher octane fuel than just plain gasoline. It gives a quicker combustion in the engine (hence lower gas mileage), but it does offer a slight boost in pick-up.
Since it's clean burning though, it doesn't leave as much carbon in the engine so obviously the engine stays cleaner and supposedly has a longer life span.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:45 AM

I'm a little car dumb but have a comment/question about this. Is E85 ok to put in my car? 03' monte ss.... stock

Old 07-28-2011, 06:07 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ains3614, no. Your car is not "flex-fuel".

Old 07-28-2011, 06:57 AM

thanks

Old 07-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

You can make a 3800 capable of running E85 though. It would take larger injectors, a flex fuel fuel filter (I believe from a flex fuel 2004 Chevy Tahoe would work), and a tune. Then you would be all set.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No P0420 code after running tank of E85?