Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Jet Mass Air Flow Sensor Install

Old 05-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Default Jet Mass Air Flow Sensor Install

Friend has a 2002 Monte SS with 3800 and Vin has K in it. Now he got the Jet MAF but his OEM MAF is part of the Throttle Body. I have looked at the install instructions, but no way can this plastic tube with a MAF sensor on it replace the whole throttle body.
They say remove the OEM one and put it in between the Air cleaner and Throttle body. It shows it seperate from the throttle body. He also has a K&N Air cleaner system installed and High FLow Cat-Back Mufflers and converter.
Jet Part number is Powr-Flo Mass Air Sensor
Part #: 69108

Anyone ever done one of these installs or does he need to use a performance tuner to adjust the system?

Old 05-09-2011, 11:39 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

anything made by Jet performance is JUNK, don't install it! Do a search for JET on here and you will get the best advice available!

here is a good thread to read......

Never again... Jet Performance ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
MAMONTE

Old 05-10-2011, 06:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Maybe he bought the one for the 3400 Engine instead? On that engine, the MAF sensor is between the air filter and the throttle body.

Honestly, there is no point in changing the MAF on these cars anyway, so he should just see about getting it returned.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:48 AM

Thank you for the replies. I told him to keep an eye on the thread I started. Also I agree, there is really no gain in changing the MAF without doing other things. I have not been in the racing business since 1988 and even then I could not afford to do what I really was able back in the 60's.
Since this is only my second post I don't want to start trouble. Being an old fart who grew up in the days of Muscle Cars and 30 cent per gal gas. When Motion Performance was in business here and it didn't cost you the selling of your first born and house to build a decent ride.
I marvel at what has been done with technology and the push of a computer button to get HP out of the car. Still there is just something that don't seem right in calling some of the stuff I see on the street MUSCLE CAR's. Not to take anything away from what a person can do to their ride and I mean no dis-respect to anyone.
I hope he reads this thread and maybe comes in and joins to ask you guys the stuff I know nothing about anymore. I switched my hobby to letting a 175grn to 300grn bullet do my racing for me.

Edit..Hey Joel if your out there and read these things hope your doing ok.....Really miss the old place in Baldwin.

Last edited by never4get; 05-10-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:39 AM

I read that Jet Performance...Never Again thread. Though it was in 2009 I'm glad it worked out for the guy. Thats why sometimes credit cards are your friend. Not sure if he used one but fill the form out for the credit card company and 90% of the time you get your money back.
Seems like Autoanything did the right thing. I always look at Reviews and if it is a big order check the BBB and some other places first. SO now my next question is, does changing the chip and using one of those tuning programs really work. IMHO if you don't make changes to all groups (Intake, Fuel, Exhaust and even internal engine parts like cam and pistons). Does the gains you get by fooling with the chip or even changing it pay off in the long run.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Getting a "chip" with these cars is a waste of money. What you do is mod your engine, THEN get a programmed PCM (or someone with a tuner) and program your computer to work with all of the modifications.

Here is a good read for you AND your friend:

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/he...n-3800s-10942/

Old 05-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

Jet=trash

You need to tune it if you do get any kind of aftermarket MAF

Old 05-10-2011, 06:54 PM

His jet unit would require a blockoff plate like in this kit for an upgraded 3800 MAF:

ZZ Performance

See the little aluminum chunk- you take your stock MAF out, and use the piece to block off the hole. Obviously then, you just plumb the new MAF between the TB and airbox/filter using some regular intake plumbing adapters.

Here is a pic of an 85mm GM unit installed:

[image]http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/3225/761/20560380067_large.jpg[/image]

You can see the aluminum blockoff- then if you look close, just before the airbox, you can see the square end of the MAF (almost touching the top of the box).

Upgrading the MAF is ok, but is best suited for those with the older style throttle bodies (I'm talking L67 here, not sure what the L36 ones look like).

The old 97/98 TB's in the L67's had a massive cast in center beam to house the MAF; and the 99+ GP TB's got rid of the post. The 97/98 guys would buy an external MAF setup, and then grind out the stock MAF post for better airflow. This image compares the two (new style on left obviously):

[image]http://www.zzperformance.com/articles_img/10_1.jpg[/image]

For your friend though, it truly is a waste of money, IMO. The idea above is to get a larger, higher flow MAF- and to get rid of all that restriction in the TB. However, if you're leaving the TB stock- and I'm assuming it is smaller than the size of your new MAF- it is going to be the bottleneck anyways.

In a house, it would be like running 2.5" PVC to a sink drain, but then cutting out a foot long section and replacing it with 3". Sure the 3" section flows much better- but you're still going to be limited by the smaller section anyways in terms of flow.

The other thing I don't like about screwing with MAF's- is that there is a specific table in the pcm for the MAF. It tells the computer how much air is entering the engine given a specific MAF frequency. If you replace the MAF with a totally different one, and don't retune the table to match the change, then the pcm has incorrect information, and your fuel trims may go up since it has to readjust fueling and such to compensate when it sees the O2 values go wacky from where they were before.