Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Opinion Needed: Exhaust tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 11:11 AM
1 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Exhaust tips

Years ago I had catback exhaust put on my Monte. Something that I didn't notice was the exhaust tips. They are open around where the inlet is, and I'll post a picture incase you guys don't understand what I'm talking about. My question is, if I get tips where they are COMPLETELY sealed around the inlet, will it make a difference on the tone of my exhaust?

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust tips-img_3134.jpg  
Old 04-16-2017, 08:59 AM

If there is ANY kind of drone inside your car, it will reduce that the slightest bit.. Thats it tho, nothing else..

I cant believe a shop would leave tips like that.. They should have used a reducer to eliminate that gap.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:57 AM
1 Year Member
1 Year Member

There is drone, but it only bothers me when I have the windows up with the A/C on for some reason. I currently have a y-pipe going to one chamber VR mufflers. I considered changing to flowmaster, but I'm picky with the tone of my car. With the videos that I saw, I don't know if I would like the change or not. I want an aggressive, good tone.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:24 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I use Flowmaster 40s and I really like their sound. I could go a little louder, however...

Old 04-19-2017, 10:57 AM
1 Year Member
1 Year Member

But your Monte has the 5.3 doesn't it? If so, I'm sure there will be a difference in sound between the 5.3 and the 3.4 haha

Old 04-21-2017, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by AHart87
There is drone, but it only bothers me when I have the windows up with the A/C on for some reason. I currently have a y-pipe going to one chamber VR mufflers. I considered changing to flowmaster, but I'm picky with the tone of my car. With the videos that I saw, I don't know if I would like the change or not. I want an aggressive, good tone.
Know exactly what you mean. Its really hard to get a good sound outta the 3400s.. Even harder for the 3800s. Ive probably spent over $150 the last month trying to get the right sound but out of the 10 sets of mufflers ive bought, I dont even like the sound much.

Had cherrybomb chamber mufflers on my old 3400 and ive never heard a 34-3800 sound better.

As of right now, the best I can find are thrush turbo chambered. The welded and their straight thru mufflers makes these cars sound like metallic crap.

Back on topic tho. The drone you hear with the windows up will most likely be gone if you seal up those gaps.. You wont hear and kinda difference outside the car..

Old 04-23-2017, 01:33 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

While I'm sure there is some noise difference at the pipe connection for bolt ons and welds, a large difference can be had not by how the tip connects to the exhaust pipe, but the actual size and amount of outlets.

Example: I had a Deltaflow 40 series on my 3100. No extra exhaust tip or anything, just a muffler hanging out there. Drone was horrendous. Added a round 3" bolt-on exhaust tip. Lessened the drone, but was still loud. Removed that tip and bolted up a tip with two exits, probably 1.75" or so each, and the car nearly sounded stock, only slightly louder.

Good luck with your exhaust note, I would suggest buying some bolt on tips of different styles and see what sounds best... But that can be pricey. $20-$50 per tip approximately. Exhaust tips ain't cheap these days.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:28 PM
1 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
If there is ANY kind of drone inside your car, it will reduce that the slightest bit.. Thats it tho, nothing else..

I cant believe a shop would leave tips like that.. They should have used a reducer to eliminate that gap.
Is this the Cherry Bomb muffler you're talking about? I have the same muffler, only not the Cherry Bomb brand. Do you think that it would make a difference?

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust tips-cherry-bomb-muffler.jpg  
Old 04-24-2017, 07:24 PM

I would change the tips how they look and it looks like there not welded up right

Old 04-25-2017, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by AHart87
Is this the Cherry Bomb muffler you're talking about? I have the same muffler, only not the Cherry Bomb brand. Do you think that it would make a difference?
You know I cant say for sure... When I got mine, I was told that they were cherry bomb mufflers without the cherrybomb name on them... WTF ever that means...

These are the most similar I can find to mine..

You can see they are unlike these "walled" mufflers.

The flowmaster style "walled" mufflers are just aweful to me.. I know its some peoples thing but not mine..

Those mufflers I had were the best sound ive heard on a 3x00.