Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Removing crosspipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Removing crosspipe

So if I remove my cross pipe can I put it right back on without any gaskets needed? It wont ruin anything that I would have to replace before reinstalling?

Edit:

My bonneville has the same engine and I wanna wrap the crosspipe to stop some heat from getting to the throttle body.

Thanks.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:17 AM

If all you're going to do is wrap it, I'd just leave it in place. Not worth the potential for leaks or screwing with rusted out bolts.

Realistically, it already has a heat shield on it from the factory so I wouldn't think you'd have any measurable gains from wrapping it. I will admit that I used to have one of those throttle body heat shields (granted that was with uncoated headers), but I couldn't see any difference with it on or off. Personally, id rather put that money towards a set of headers.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
If all you're going to do is wrap it, I'd just leave it in place. Not worth the potential for leaks or screwing with rusted out bolts.

Realistically, it already has a heat shield on it from the factory so I wouldn't think you'd have any measurable gains from wrapping it. I will admit that I used to have one of those throttle body heat shields (granted that was with uncoated headers), but I couldn't see any difference with it on or off. Personally, id rather put that money towards a set of headers.
Well, if the chance is great enough to be considered then I guess Ill leave it on and just wrap it as is..

Its just my bonneville doesnt have the heat shield like the monte does... Same 3800 motor and all.... idk, thanks tho. Would have done it and possibly end up with a headache.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:25 PM

Hmm, never realized they made some without the shield.

it's really not terrible to take off, but I've just run into a few different issues:
-breaking a stud/bolt (common to any exhaust related work)
-previous owner/shop way over tightened it and screwed up the mating surfaces (if you then torque it correctly, it leaks. If you over torque it yourself, you risk breaking the studs).

I get that sometimes its unavoidable to have to remove it, but in this case you could save a lot of potential headache by just wrapping them in place. Maybe I've just been burned too many times (no pun intended) on exhaust issues.