Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Electrical Issue/Cruise light and DIC

Old 03-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Default Electrical Issue/Cruise light and DIC

I searched the forums here but didn't find info on the exact problems I'm having. I am having some issues with my 2003 Monte Carlo SS. 84,xxx miles stock except K&N cold air intake. Over the weekend, cruise control turned itself off and wouldn't turn back on, but then the cruise light on the dash came on but cruise control wasn't working. I tried turning cruise back on and it took so many tries to get it to engage, it worked for a few minutes and turned itself off again. I pulled the fuse out for cruise control since I read on the forums here that someone had a scary experience with cruise turning on by itself.
The past two days when I turn the car on, the cruise light stays lit on the dash for anywhere from 15 seconds to a minute. The driver info center doesn't turn on for about the same amount of time. I don't know if this could be related but about a month ago, I was driving with my high beams on and the headlights went out and I had to click to the low beams to turn them back on. That was the only time that happened. I plugged my ODB scanner in but it didn't come up with any info. I am pretty strapped for cash and the closest dealer is a good 30+ miles away. From what I've read it could be the bcm, pcm, or ignition switch. What do you all think?

Old 03-21-2012, 01:02 AM

it sounds like it's gonna be something bad but you should still check the hoses and connections on the cruise control under the hood

Old 03-21-2012, 12:46 PM

I'm bringing her to the shop on Friday so they can scan it with the Tech 2 tool. Now the ac/heat fans aren't working. When I turn them on, the cruise light on the dash turns on and stays either solid or blinks. (I took out the cruise control fuse so I'm sure it's not a cruise control issue) The driver info center turns on sometimes and other times it doesn't even turn on at all. Hopefully this can fixed easily and inexpensively. I'll post here when we figure out the issue to help anyone else out in the future.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:28 PM

Hopefully a connector just needs to be cleaned

Old 04-02-2012, 02:49 PM

Update: The issue got worse. The cruise light would stay illuminated unless the fan was turned on. The fan would work intermittently and the Driver Info Center would take a long time to turn on.
A new ignition switch fixed this issue.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:31 AM
Default Same problem

Originally Posted by leelover
I searched the forums here but didn't find info on the exact problems I'm having. I am having some issues with my 2003 Monte Carlo SS. 84,xxx miles stock except K&N cold air intake. Over the weekend, cruise control turned itself off and wouldn't turn back on, but then the cruise light on the dash came on but cruise control wasn't working. I tried turning cruise back on and it took so many tries to get it to engage, it worked for a few minutes and turned itself off again. I pulled the fuse out for cruise control since I read on the forums here that someone had a scary experience with cruise turning on by itself.
The past two days when I turn the car on, the cruise light stays lit on the dash for anywhere from 15 seconds to a minute. The driver info center doesn't turn on for about the same amount of time. I don't know if this could be related but about a month ago, I was driving with my high beams on and the headlights went out and I had to click to the low beams to turn them back on. That was the only time that happened. I plugged my ODB scanner in but it didn't come up with any info. I am pretty strapped for cash and the closest dealer is a good 30+ miles away. From what I've read it could be the bcm, pcm, or ignition switch. What do you all think?
my 2002 does the same thing when you pulled the fuse. Did your fan work?

Old 10-28-2021, 11:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Ginnywads
my 2002 does the same thing when you pulled the fuse. Did your fan work?
This thread has been inactive since 2012. You will be better off starting a new thread about your issue.