General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

What would you do???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Default What would you do???

I just took my '02 SS up to the body shop to get a quick quote on a paint/body job for the spring.

I just 'bout fell on my *** when I heard the estimate. FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!

Then it got worse. The manageer of the shop took a closer look at the car and explained to me that the FACTORY PAINT was junk!!!! And it was going to cost up to an additional THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS to bring the car back to to bare metal and FIX the crappy paint job that GM put on the car in the first place.

My body guy flat out said to me that if it were him, he'd be headed for the dealership and explain to them they should be painting the car to fix the Factory defect.

What do you guys think? Should I go to GM and have them paint the car? Or just suck it up?

The paint is "cracked" from the roof, down. That is what is going to cost the additional fee.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Default RE: What would you do???

I'd get the Customer Service Number and call Chevy and get a Case Number.
Tell them whats wrong and what you expect.

Since it's an '02 ... you'd better be prepared to "Share the burden" ... so to speak.
But, I'd definitely get the ball rolling with Chevy because Bad Paint isn't supposed to happen!

Chevrolet
P.O. Box 33170
Detroit, MI 48232-5170
1-800-222-1020

Old 08-02-2008, 02:48 PM

I dont think that I would hold my breath trying to get GM to repaint and refinish the car ... especially the way the company is doing right now, BUT as always it couldnt hurt to a least try ... if they pay anything, that would be better than nothing .... keep us updated on how it works out! Good Luck!

Old 08-02-2008, 02:49 PM

Hi Dale
I would do more then fall on my azz with that price
Are you the first owner ?
How many miles on your Monte ?
If you have an attorney I would check with him
but I think being a 2002 its going to be a fight
Member mrl390 Matt is a bodyman and maybe able
to give you what he thinks it would cost to repair repaint
I would also get other estimates that state it is bad
factory paint or neglect
Below sites have your year Monte and
it may give you some information or help
on your paintproblem and other Monte problems
Wish you good luck and a much lower better price
to repaint
2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo complaints, problems, defects, investigations & lemon law information: electrical, steering, accessories - exterior, body / paint ...
www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Monte_Carlo/2006... - 17k - Similar pages

Old 08-02-2008, 02:54 PM

[align=center]2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo[/align]
Monte Carlo body / paint problems

Click on the problem descriptions or "more info" buttons below for more detailed information.

click on below

paint is cracking

[ 2 complaints ]
Nothing Ventured
Nothing Gained
Good Luck
[/align][/align]

Old 08-02-2008, 03:01 PM

Lemon Law Site
Attempt to put this is above post but it would not stick
click below link

Old 08-02-2008, 03:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

So what work are you getting done to your car? Any pics? How about of the factory defect. Paint prices are going up up up and they arent stopping. Thats a main reason why body work cost so much these days. 3000 dollars to strip and repaint a car is nothing now adays. Especially on a car as big as a monte carlo. GM has had bad luck with their paint ever since the early 80s. For a 2002 tho I would think that they would have their **** together by now. I would definately talk to GM and see what they can do for you. They wont pay for it all, they may not even pay for anything but it definately doesnt hurt to try. Go as high in GM as you can and make it clear you are unhappy with the problem and if it isnt fixed, you will never buy a GM product again. Are you the original owner? If you are it will be alot easier to show that the paint problem is their fault, not someone elses.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:58 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Since the cost is above the small claims limit you may have to sue to get any satisfaction from Chevy?

I do know in 2001 Mopar did paint repair on my 1994 Dodge Shadow ES for free. Mileage was a factor I do know that. My car had under 100,000 at the time. But they paid the bill in full for free. Oh and I am not the original owner of this car either.

I believe they did paint repair work on my 1993 Dodge Shadow ES as well. I just can't remember the repair? And since it got rear ended Sept 9, 2004 that my Ins took care of. Again this car had under 100,00 miles at the time of the Mopar repair.

I read a story about a guy who sued Moparfor a complete repaironhis Dodge. He got the entire car repair but he had to keep after them. If you search the net you mayb be able to find his story and get some tips?