General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

FAQ: What is my Monte/Car Worth?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 09:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Chevyzilla nailed my thoughts on my car vs a newer car .... I see my value that others may not, and I can improve as I am not in debt on it, yet lol

Old 03-19-2016, 09:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by BeachBumMike
Hi `Shawn, I think you are making a wise decision. You know your Monte & what you have in it + it's a beautiful Monte Carlo S.S. 4-Sure! A Monte is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay. You are always better off if you can sell it yourself to someone that appreciatea a great looking Monte.
Most dealers don't...They are in business to make $'s.

Admin `Jason, Super Thread and super advice...Thanks for taking your time to share your knowledge on this subject.
Hope I / we didn't mess up the sticky.... or maybe we brought attention to it

Old 06-23-2016, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Chevyzilla
I agree that these entities like KBB and NADA are catered to the dealers who are in the buisness to make money so most of the time there values are always under what you can get out on the private market and they simply cannot give a value for the limited part such as the pace cars or the nascar driver editions. There is just no way for them to put a value on that. I have always said that the value of anything is determined by the person buying it. If it what you really want and what really makes you happy then its worth what you pay for it. Whats worth 5000 to one person may not be worth 2000 to the next. There will always be the extinuating circumstance but the value and worth is determined by the buyer.
FALSE KBB has a private and dealership option when you are inserting information to have it appraised. About KBB catering to dealers...I do a lot of work for dealerships and i've gotten onto the subject a few times with owners of dealerships. They all say KBB is the worst thing that ever happened used car dealerships.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:31 AM

Re: Kelly Blue Book

I have done a whole lot of research due to I am going to be purchasing a new vehicle. (Bye, bye Monte. Boo Hoo But due to moving I really, really need to own a 4WD)

Anyway, when I started asking around it turns out many dealers are not at all interested in an "04 Monte LS with extremely low mileage, original owner. I am told to look at the KBB price and unless the car is in absolute pristine condition to expect to get LESS. One salesman - who I semi-trust - told me they will not sell the car, they will just send it to the car auction.

Anyway, I learned of a site called fightingchance.com that instructs you in how to get new car dealers to compete with each other via telephone and email. It is a unique approach to purchasing a new vehicle. I used it yesterday and it works - I plan to purchase tomorrow.

There is a packet you buy that includes a ton of information about car dealers, pricing, sticker price vs. "dealer invoice" pricing etc. And about the relationship between KBB and Edmunds with car dealers.

How do KBB and Edmunds make money? Who most benefits from their low pricing levels? How did they become the "Gods" of pricing? Where do they get their information? Has anyone here who transacted a private sale ever reported any sale information to either of them? So what, are they culling statistics from the various states who collect sales tax on vehicle sales? Do those statistics differentiate between a wholesale price, a dealer price and a private sale? Just wondering.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:34 AM
Default 03 Jeff gordon ss

Hi I'm new good to meet ya all. I am going to see a 03 Jeff Gordon. As seems to have all proper graphics extremely nice condition 133k miles asking 4300 . I can use advice very fast.it has the flame package I understand there were 2424 only made and heard should have a Coa and dash actually signed by Gordon? Comments and advice fast please thanks jack

Old 03-25-2017, 09:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jack Thom
Hi I'm new good to meet ya all. I am going to see a 03 Jeff Gordon. As seems to have all proper graphics extremely nice condition 133k miles asking 4300 . I can use advice very fast.it has the flame package I understand there were 2424 only made and heard should have a Coa and dash actually signed by Gordon? Comments and advice fast please thanks jack
The price does not seem outrageous for a perfect JG Edition, especially if it is autographed (which nobody would appraise). Jeff Gordon did host annual JG Edition signings to select few selected registrants. It's sort of high mileage, so I can't be assured the cars in great shape, but if it were I'd pay 4 grand

Old 08-26-2018, 08:51 AM
Default When KBB doesn’t list your car

Any suggestions for if KBB doesn’t list your car (Edition)?

KBB has prices for the 6th generation NASCAR Special Editions, but not for the Limited Edition package (paint and wheels differ, somewhere around 550 made). Best to go off KBB for the SE model to get a general idea?

Of note, KBB difference in price between “Fair” and “excellent” condition is $625. So why would one spend the time and money to get the car up to Excellent, even if they are minor/easy fixes.

KBB also doesn’t allow for major component (tranny) replacement at XX mileage, which should be worth at least something, I’d think.

Realizing a car is only worth what someone will pay for it, where would be the proper place in the forums to post and see what that price may be?