General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Water sloshing in driver's door after heavy rain

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Default Water sloshing in driver's door after heavy rain

I have a 2004 Monte Carlo. About 3 weeks ago I noticed the sound of water sloshing around in the driver's side door. When I reached my destination that day and opened that door, water drained (actually a heavy drip) out of the door. And yes, it had rained the day before and the car was sitting out in the driveway. That is the first time it ever happened. I left the door standing open that day for several hours and it solved the problem.

Yesterday we had a heck of a storm here - car outside again - and today, the sloshing water is back in the driver's side door. When I open the door, no water comes out of the bottom of the door.

I've read through all of the posts regarding the standing water inside on the floor panel. Fortunately, I do not have that problem - yet, at least.

Someone did mention having this problem and they talked about cleaning out the drain holes on the bottom of the door.

How does one do this? What do you use to do this and where exactly are the drain holes located?

I am learning to do things for myself at a late age in life. (Car was purchased by my late husband. Has only 42,000 miles on it. I sold my '99 Ford Taurus with almost 95,000 miles and kept his car)

Any help with this would be very appreciated. I know very little but am willing to learn.

Thank you,
Deeana

Old 06-03-2012, 05:22 AM

Hi Deena,
Welcome to our Monte Carlo Family..

It sounds like you have plugged up drain holes. Use a flashlight and look on the bottom of your door. The holes will be small. You should be able to tell where they are by looking for small drain holes with the water dripping out of them. Use a small screwdriver or something like that to push in the hole & remove the blockage.

Watch out water may squirt out so be prepared . Most of the time they get clogged because people park under a tree that drops seeds or small leaves etc on the car & clogs the holes. They work their way between the door glass and weather seal. Good luck, hope this helps.

Last edited by Space; 06-03-2012 at 05:26 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:27 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The hole is hiding BEHIND the rubber strip on the bottom of the door.

Look towards the front of the car when you open the door and pull away the rubber strip, you will see the small holes there and probably a lot of nasty gunk

Old 06-03-2012, 11:06 AM

Yep, clogged drain hole behind the rubber strip. Be warned though, the mess that has formed in there to clog the hole is pretty nasty. It's gonna be a black, pasty mess. Quick fix is to pull the strip back (a quarter of the way will be plenty, starting from the open edge of the door) and using a little twig from a nearby tree, poke it through the hole until the water flows. But rest assured there's more gunk in there that can and will plug it up again so the ideal thing to do would be to remove the speaker and pull out the foam in the door so you can get inside the door and clean it out with some Simple Green.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:11 PM

Thanks you all so much for the detailed replies. Hopefully I will be out there tomorrow and will work on this. (It rained here again today) And yes, the car is sitting under a huge oak tree. But there is no other place for me to park it.

If nobody minds, how about describing how to take that speaker and foam out, just in case I need to do that also.

Thanks a lot,
Deeana

Old 06-03-2012, 08:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Remove all the screws from the door, take a flat-head around the bottom half and carefully pop out the plastic retainers that hold the panel to the door. Then LIFT UP because there are hooks on top near the window. That will remove the panel and you will see everything you need to.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:57 PM
Default Same problem with my Monte Carlo SS Intimidator 2004

Hello there i'm having the same problem here on my side driver door hearing slushing water after heavy rainy days or when coming home after using a car wash, i first taught it was just some water accumulating inside the under body flares until i notice the floor section in the back of driver side and only there who was soaking with water so i vacuum it all but was wondering where it was coming from thinking it may be coming under the rear seat from the trunk section but then when opening my door i notice that water slushing sound and i immediately look down at the door seal and as i was removing the seal clips it start poring water all over the place so i knew where the slushing sound was coming from.

But i'm still wondering if this was causing the water leaking in the rear driver side floor where you rest your feet, cause i can't see how it could come from the bottom of the door and right inside the car??? Or may i have 2 leaking problems here?

Please if any of you have experience something similar can you tell me what was the exact problem and how you fixed it.

P.S.(I'm a french canadien so please forgive the mistakes, still working on my English here :P )

Old 09-26-2016, 06:03 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

First of all, Welcome to the forum!!
Yes the water in the door CAN leak into the car if it gets high enough to come over the metal that the interior attaches to and it will go into the back floor pan. I would bet if you take a look at your door gaskets, there is a cut, crack, or gouge that is allowing water to enter. So you could maybe only have one place leaking but it is possible that you have two.
As far as the water in the door, I really am not sure how to drain that other than removing the bottom gasket to open up those holes or to drill a drain hole.
I am sure others will post because I doubt this is a rare problem.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:13 AM

Park the car "Level"
Open door.
Locate LOWEST part of Door where water could pool.
Mark, Center-punch, Drill three-eighths hole at low spot.
Touch-up bare metal with clear nail polish.
Insert rubber grommet after clear polish dries!

Old 10-24-2016, 02:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Me personally I just drilled bigger holes so the water flows outnmore

Quick Reply: Water sloshing in driver's door after heavy rain