General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Standing Water in my Monte!

Old 08-18-2008, 07:41 PM
Default Standing Water in my Monte!

So it had ben raining for 3 days solid and I hadn't driven my 03 SS for a week, when my daughter opend up the passenger doorand said "Whats that?" A puddle, A big 'ole puddle in the passengers floor board, the door sill, firewall, consol are all dry, but theres a fishing hole in my car! I immediatley smelled the water (that sounds funny) and it was just that... water. I checked the window and it was all the way up, and there was no sign of any leaks in the sunroof.
I quickly bailed out the pond and soaked it up with a shammy, then headed to the nearest car wash wet vac I could find and vacuumed and re-vacuumed, once home I stood there with a garden hose and soaked the whole car down for a while.
Only thing I could figure was the passengers door wasnt closed tight, because it never dripped a drop.
Is there a point to this post ....
Absolutely not.
But there was a PUDDLE in MY CAR!!!!!
No harm done, everything works like it should and (unlike my truck) it has no sunk-in-a-pond smell.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default RE: Standing Water in my Monte!

Ah, I feel your pain. I left my passenger side window down during a storm and flooded my entire passenger side. It took a shopvac and two days for the carpet to dry out.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:39 PM

That happens in my trunk from time to time. I need to seal it up better, which I shouldn't have to do. I think it leaks in from behind my tail lights. If it is a constant problem you might want to try and reseal around you door.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:16 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You may want to examine the rubber seals on the door and sunroof for any rips or cuts, etc...
Also, maybe get some silicone emulsion and re-juvenate your door and window seals. Also do your sunroof and trunk seals too while your at it. Keeps them from drying out and cracking or ripping. I got mine for $10 at the dealership parts counter. Bottle is about the size of a roll of quarters, and has the applicator built into the cap.

Very easy and cheap way to keep your rubber seals lasting a long time.

Oh yeah...

DO NOT USE ARMOR ALL on your rubber seals!!! Or on anything else for that matter.

Despite what the label says, it will cause what ever you put it on to crack. I know from watching the dash of my dad's old Chevy crack like an mf'er. He used Armor All religiously because he thought it would prevent cracking. When it started to crack, he thought it was because he wasn't using enough. Broke his heart to see his showroom condition Chevy being ruined.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:33 PM

The Shop Vac Treatment isn't going to be good enough if there was a puddle inside the car!
Yank the seats.
Yank the carpet and padding.

Let the floorboards dry.
Spray Lysol Disinfectant on anything that got wet.

Let the Carpet DRY
Throw the padding away.
Get new padding from a Carpet store that will sell you thicker and better padding by the square yard.
Make your own NEW Padding.

Spray both sides of the dried-out carpet with Lysol disinfectant.
Protect your investment.

Nothing smells worse inside a car than mold growing all-over the place!
It will stink you right out of the car!
Don't delay!

Old 08-19-2008, 04:13 AM

Hi Thomas,
Sorry to read about your leaks : (
The members have posted some good information for you.
Wish you good luck on resolving your leak problems.
I hope the below links gives you some information that will
help you.
[:-]
2003 CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO Technical Service Bulletin (TSB)
Provides Information about 2003 CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO Recall, ... hvac clicking; oil changes with power oil machine; water leaks; rattle noise; ...
www.aboutautomobile.com/tsb/2003/CHEVROLET/MONTE... - 93k - Similar pages
http://www.aboutautomobile.com/tsb/2...ET/MONTE+CARLO
2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo TSBs [ CarComplaints.com ]
2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) ... HVAC CLICKING; OIL CHANGES WITH POWER OIL MACHINE; WATER LEAKS; RATTLE NOISE; ...
www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Monte_Carlo/2003... - 41k - Similar pages
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrol...003/tsbs.shtml

Search Results for leaks [ CarComplaints.com ]
2, water leaks onto passenger floorboards ยท 2001 Chevrolet Malibu. 1, water leaks into vehicle interior when it rains ยท 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo ...
www.carcomplaints.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?q... - 29k - Similar pages
[ More results from www.carcomplaints.com ]
http://www.carcomplaints.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?q=leaks[/align]Cabin air filter leak??? - Topix
Jul 14, 2008 ... Cabin air filter leak??? Posted in the Chevrolet Monte Carlo Forum .... Ive had water in my 03 monte, passenger floor for a few months when ...
www.topix.com/forum/autos/chevrolet-monte-carlo/... - 69k - Similar pages

Old 08-23-2008, 07:25 PM

How did this incident work-out?
Did you pull the Carpet or are you leaving it in?

Old 08-23-2008, 07:34 PM

I went ahead and peeled back the carpet, removed all the padding that looked like it may have gotten wet and sprayed it down with Lysol, I found some sound barrier padding that wourked out slick at the local stereo shop.
Thanks for the help.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:56 AM

I think your leak is coming from above the cabin air filter. there is a 2 foot long rubber strip that easily falls off the metal lip. take the plastic cowl off the pass. side use some super tack gasket cement and reseat on the metal lip. I had a leak and that was the problem.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:22 AM

I'm concerned about residual humidity causing you grief by allowing Mold to form.
If your windows are fogging-up due to the humidity in the cabin ... rent a de-humidifier and let it rum inside the car with the windows closed for a few hours.
Every drop of water you pull-out of the cabin is one less that will be available to help Mold and Mildew begin to form inside.

If you let that bacteria get out of control ... it will eventually cost you a whole interior.
It happened to my sisters Pontiac.
Insurance didn't cover the damage because she let it go without reporting it until weeks after the soaking.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Standing Water in my Monte!