General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

SS Added Upgrades - What are they?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Default SS Added Upgrades - What are they?

I was just curious if anyone knew, or knew where to find a list of, what the upgrades are when you get an SS Monte as opposed to an LS, LT, etc. All I've read (for the '05 model year) is the supercharger, leather wrapped steering wheel, cruise, and maybe one more thing that I can't recall (17" wheels?). Specificallt I've always wondered if the suspension and/or drive train is upgraded in anyway.

I know (at least I think I do ) that the SS doesn't neccessarilly have the Hi-Sport package ground effects, and spoiler, as one might thing they would. I've had a bad additude that for the 2000-2005 years Chevy just slapped an SS badge on anything to get more money out of it; then in '06 they started caring again and really tricking the SS's out (see interiors of TrailBlazer SS, Impala SS, etc.). I'm hoping someone can prove me wrong.

Thanks!

Old 03-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Default RE: SS Added Upgrades - What are they?

[align=center]Hi `Matt,[/align][align=center]Check out the below link. It contains reviews/road tests[/align][align=center]on every generation Monte Carlo.[/align][align=center]Some post have the breakdown in equipment/upgrades/etc.[/align][align=center]Hope it helps, `Space[/align][align=center][:-]click below [:-][/align][align=center]https://montecarloforum.com/m_34860/tm.htm[/align]

Old 03-28-2008, 03:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

[align=left] [/align]
CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO
For Release: Aug. 1, 2004
New for 2005

http://media.gm.com/division/2005_pr...rlo/index.html[/align]

Old 03-28-2008, 03:36 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The SS had many small changes... on top of the 3.8L and it's 20 extra horsepower

A 140 MPH Speedometer
4 Wheel Disk Brakes
Dual Exhuast (small inlets on the bumper with two pipes, barelly visible wihtout appareance package)
Ducktail spoiler stock
Trim Package
Seems like there is an extra gauge, but I can't recall which one
I think the RPM goes up to 7 instead of 6 or something

Lots of small details that make it worth the extra money to me.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:29 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

From what I can see in the Chevy Brochure from the dealership:

- Cruise control is standard equipment on SS, optional on LS
- Mirror group is standard (includes auto-dimming inside rearview mirror, with dual reading lamps and heated outside sideview mirrors)
- 6 way power driver seat is standard
- Illuminated visor mirrors standard
- Driver Info and Security Group is standard (includes trip computer, outside temp display, compass, Homelink transmitter and theft-deterrent alarm system)
- Seating Comfort Package standard (includes six-way power front passenger seat and heated front seats)
- Onstar standard
- SS Sport Appearance Package (includes race-inspired rear spoiler, 16 inch diamond-cut cast aluminum wheels on SS, 17 inch diamond-cut cast aluminum wheels on Supercharged SS)
- Dual exhaust outlets with bright stainless-steel tips standard.
- Foglamps standard
- rear decklid spoiler standard (there are two different style spoilers. race-inspired available on SS models only)

Guages differ on LS, SS, and Supercharged SS. LS guages include speedo, tach, fuel and temp guages. SS guages include speedo, tach, fuel, temp, oil pressure and volt meter. Supercharged SS guages include speedo, tach, fuel, temp, oil pressure and boost guage.

- Seating material and pattern differ from the LS and SS models
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio system and cruise controls standard.

Axel ratios differ: LS -- 2.86:1
SS -- 3.29:1
Supercharged SS -- 2.93:1

Engines: LS -- 3400 V6 (180hp)
SS -- 3800 V6 (200hp)
Supercharged SS -- 3800 V6 (240hp)

- Supercharged SS gets a heavy-duty transmission
- four wheel disc brakeswith electronic traction control and tire inflation monitor standard

Suspension setup is different: LS -- Ride & Handling tuned suspension
SS -- Sport tuned suspension
Supercharged SS -- Performance tuned suspension

Tires: LS -- P225/60R-16 Touring
SS -- P225/60R-16 Performance
Supercharged SS -- P235/55R-17 "W" speed rated Performance

Hope this helps.

Please keep in mind this is 2005 we're talking about. Previous years, and 7th gens (2006 & 2007) may have different options.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:23 AM

5 Year Member

my SS doesn't have the "comfort seats" or the 6 way adjustable seats.. plus my mirrors aren't heated, and I don't have OnStar

Old 03-29-2008, 12:42 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Maybe because of the different year?
If not, I dunno. Sorry, man.
If it makes you feel better, the Onstar was the old analogue system, which is now useless anyway. Like the Onstar in mine.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:32 AM

Yeah I think some of that stuff is still optional even on the SS

Mine doesn't have the appearance package, Heated seat or mirrors, No onstar (doesn't bother me ) No exhaust tips, but I do have the power seat

I think the options that Taz listed are for the Pace car SS version of the Monte Carlo.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:46 PM

5 Year Member

mine don't even have a button for OnStar... can't say I miss it though.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:48 AM

Thanks everyone. This is all really good info!

This kind of confirms and disconfirms my suspicions that up until the '05 year Chevy was slapping an SS badge on anythign to get more money. I have only ever thought this to be the case b/c most Montes of this generation that I see on the road are SS's, and at least exterior wise they vary so much. Some (all SS's) have this spoiler or that spoiler, some have ground effects some don't, etc. With a few responses above of, "mine doesn't have that," I can kinda see this trend.

It does seem as though there were some performace upgrades to the SS's throughout the years, but in '05 by removing the SS badge from anything that was not supercharged they started to get back to their SS roots. Now in the '06 and on model years, while throwing an SS badge on a ton of different models, it seems they are really tricking them out mechanically and visually.

It was really nice to see that there are things like suspension upgrades, as I was kind of feeling jipped that I have an SS and there is virtually nothing better about it (which is not the case). I guess it's b/c you (or at least I) don't/didn't ever see these features touted anywhere like, <car commercial announcer voice>"Monte Carlo SS feature a race-inspired performace tuned suspension, heave duty 4 speed automatic transmission, and yada yada yada."</car commercial announcer voice>

Anyway, enough ranting about my feared shortcommings in life. Good info guys!
Keep on keepin' on.

Quick Reply: SS Added Upgrades - What are they?