General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Speedometer Just Stopped Working

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Speedometer Just Stopped Working

so i was driving and this stupid chick in a G5 pulled up, so i smoked her but then my speedometer just stopped working, before it stopped working i did have to stop kind of fast for a stop light, but then i shut my car off and then turn it back on and it did work but i dont know how accurate it was, and when i start my car now the speedometer stays below 0 until i accelerate. does it sound like the whole gauge cluster? i thought it would be a fuse at first but then i realized that the whole gauge would probably be out then, i continued to read and thought maybe its a sensor? what do you guys think and what do you think i should do?

Old 01-01-2010, 07:15 PM

Supposedly this is a common problem with the gauge clusters in the MC's. The gauge cluster has been replaced in the Dale Jr. car I just bought and the lady I bought it from said that the speedometer quit in it and is why the cluster was replaced. I think there is a problem with the stepper motors that run each gauge and they tend to go out. I saw a post on here where someone repairs these but I don't remember where I saw it. Good luck.

Wayne

Old 01-01-2010, 07:18 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

ive had the same prob on my Sierra they had to replace the whole cluster i got lucky b/c they extended the warrenty on it

Old 01-01-2010, 07:20 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

If it moves at all, it's still connected. I know older cars had a cable that ran from the back of the speedometer and into the tailshaft of the transmission. It could have popped out, I don't know where it is placed. I don't know how this works electronically now, because I know you can hook the computer up to the car, tell it what size tire and rim is on the car and what gear is in it and re-calibrate the speedometer pretty easily. Eh, that's just a rant... chances are it is the gauges cluster. I think there's probably only 2-3 wires hooked up that control the whole thing...

Old 01-01-2010, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member

okay well its really weird because i just took my car out again and it worked, so i turned my tomtom on to see if it was accurate and it was right on, maybe just fozen or something? ill jack it up tomorrow and take a look, i think the wire may have been lose, thanks for the input guys, im just mad because now i dont know how fast i was going when i flew by the G5 GT lol

Old 01-02-2010, 12:22 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's electrical, my friend. No need to crawl under the car, I wouldn't think you'd find any surprises. I have had that issue twice with my oil pressure gauge. I shut the car off and refire it and it goes back to working. It happened last week, it happened once over the summer and that is it. Electrical problems are HARD to trace, because they are often intermittent and just a PITA in nature.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member

so you think i should just leave it? first time it ever happened to me and it never happened to the owner before me, it wouldnt have to do with me taking off the dash either would it? because i never touched the gauge cluster..

could it possibly be because i have the worlds worst AC Delco battery at the moment?