General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Slipping belt sound. Transmission maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Default Slipping belt sound. Transmission maybe?

2001 Monte LS. I started to hear a noise that sounded like the belt slipping when I would put my foot in it to pass someone etc. It sounded like the belt slipping so that's what I went with. I found that the power steering pump shaft seal was leaking and starting to sling oil. I changed the pump, cleaned everything up, ran the old belt for a week to make sure all the oil was gone before I put a new one on. I put the new belt on and it still makes that noise when I get on it. Has anybody had this problem? I also changed the tranny fluid, filter and disconnected the return line at the tranny and flushed 4 extra quarts thru it. There was nothing but powder on the magnet and a few tiny brass flakes in the pan. The transmission acts normal but I'm wondering if something is getting ready to go. This is my first post on this forum, I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

some people will completely dissagree with me, and some people wont, but i talked to a few tranny guys around here and they said never to do a complete flush on the system as it stir's all the crap around thats sitting in there, doesn't get rid of it, just stirs it up and causes problems. now i know some people will start saying NOT TRUE!! but it is, i've talked to a few people that have done flushes and this is what happened shortly after is that it screwed up their tranny....in short, if your tranny is ok, i would never recomend doing a flush again...just drop the pan and fill the fluid up

i really do hope its not your tranny though

Old 03-09-2009, 03:00 PM

I couldn't stop myself from trying to get a little more old fluid out of my tranny. I limited it to a 4 qt. flush by only buying a case of tranny fluid though. Anyway, it doesn't shift funny before or after the fluid change. I just get a slipping belt type sound when I kick it down a gear and I'm 99% sure it's not my belt. Last spring my BCM went south and I'm wondering if my tranny is going to join it this spring. Thanks for the comeback.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:50 PM

hmm just because ur belt is squeeking doesnt mean that it is the belts fault. did u look at the of the pulleys when u took it off? how about if the belt is tracking correctly? one of the pulleys may have slightly moved and affected the traction? get urself a pair of sonic ears(not sure if thats what they are called) have sumone reve the car and get a better idea of where to noise is coming from

Old 03-10-2009, 04:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree with whiz kidd - statistically alot of transmission flushes result in tranny failure, but this may not be coincidence either. I wonder what percentage of tranny flushes/ services are done when people "start to feel something funny"? But I know what you mean and am hesitant to dick with mine ever.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

check into getting a dayco poly rib belt, not poly cog, its a new design they have now to eliminate squeeking...works really well...but yes it could be a lot of stuff