General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

7th Gen ('06-'07): See The Amazing 150,000 Mile Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 05:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default See The Amazing 150,000 Mile Spark Plugs

Thanks to MCF and youtube I have been returning to my old hungry days when I did most of my own upkeep and minor repairs. Last time I changed spark plugs had to be mid 80s on the 280Z, a car that is a dream to maintain.

Monte is just a couple thousand miles short of the 200K mark and here I am this week with more time than money (used to be the other way around, ha ha). So with plugs and wires (Delco all the way) ordered online it is time to get dirty. I disconnected the engine mounts and pulled the engine forward with a tie down. Also removed the coil pack since the @#$ boots were stuck on, otherwise would have left it there,

Here are 2 pictures of the removed plugs, they worked for at least 150,000 miles.

What seems to be up with #2 cylinder? too wide a gap leading to fuel fouling?

Driving is mostly highway miles. Car has been a little rough when cruising at 25MPH, I was hoping that new sparks may smooth things out at least. A shakedown ride was good (car still runs, I didn't break anything) and the 25MPH point was behaving.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement -

Tools:
3/8 ratchet with floppy head
Spark plug socket 5/8
6" extension
Screwdriver
10mm socket
15mm socket
1 short ratchet tie down
Silicone grease
Bandaids
Bike or other transportation back to part store

Attached Thumbnails See The Amazing 150,000 Mile Spark Plugs-135246.jpg   See The Amazing 150,000 Mile Spark Plugs-13524.jpg  

Last edited by Barovelli; 03-31-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

WOW! Pushed to the limit! The plugs used are rated for 100-150K, you got your money's worth lol.

Glad to see it also fixed a little performance issue. I love the maiden voyage on brand new plugs! Car feels like it has some extra pep in it's step.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:44 PM
Thumbs up >Thanks for posting/sharing<

Hi `Barovelli & thanks for your super write `up with pictures +
It's amazing your got 150K on your plugs & you're going on
200K miles Speaks volumes on Chevy's 3.5L Engine
with proper maintenance
It's good to be able to do the work yourself & it's the pride
of accomplishment when you get the job done & also
saved a tons of $'s.
Being busy does not always mean real work. The object of all work is production or accomplishment and to either of these ends there must be forethought, system, planning, intelligence, and honest purpose, as well as perspiration. Seeming to do is not doing.
Thomas A. Edison

P.S. Great to see your Monte In the MOTM Contest.
+ now it's ready to get back in the Race