General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

scary trip this morning

Old 03-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Default scary trip this morning

I was heading to school this morning going on the same road I travel on everyday. I was heading down a fairly steep downhill whith a sharp left turn at the bottom. As I approached the turn I hitmy brakes to slowdown but got nothing. My ABS turned on but it was too late. My car went straight off the road over a 6in dropoff into a grass field. At this point I was still going 15-20mph so I slammed my brakes as I was bumping up and down and trying to avoid the few large trees in the field I was now in. I finally came to a stop and luckily didn't hit anything. Once I came to a stop I looked around and there was also a chevy silverado that had gone off into the same field probably seconds before me.

It turns out there was a huge sheet of ice on the turn. The weird thing is it has been raining here all week with temps around the mid 40s. Last night it must have gotten down below freezing but I had no idea until I hit the ice patch and flew off the road.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:43 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: scary trip this morning

woah.. weird.

we have this curve just by my house (and fortuantly we all learned this long before I started driving) that has an underwater pond/river or something under it. well.. it turns out this underwater pond or river or whatever (it happpens to run under my house to so i guessit's a river.. the curve is that close)... but nayways, this "river" keeps the ground above it cooler... and thus their will be ice in this curve when the rest of the roads in a 20 mile radious are dry. plus there is a lot of trees to shade this curve.....

so maybe there was some underwater pond or something that kept hte ground cooler and put ice on the road for you...

might be something to consider next winterwehn you go down that hill.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:06 PM

wow thats some scary stuff.... good to hear youre okay though, there isnt any damage to ya car is it?

Old 03-20-2008, 04:26 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Glad to read you weren't injured.

How did you get the car out of the field?

Old 03-20-2008, 05:51 PM

The car is fine. No damage at all thank goodness.

To get out I drove in the field a little wase to where the road was almost perfectly level and just drove out. Im sure there were cars going into the field all morning because of that patch of ice

Old 03-20-2008, 06:17 PM

Glad you're okay....It can be pretty scary sometimes and after it is all said and done, I know the feeling of oh crap, is there any underbody damage?!?!

Old 03-20-2008, 08:00 PM

im sorry to hear of this happening to you.
Also welcome to Black ice!!
you mentioned that you were headding down hill on a pretty good grade. this tells me tha tthe temp from the top to the bottom might have changed and if it was in the low to mid 40;s it can still have ice or black ice in low lieing areas and also in shady areas.

Hope you find nothing wrong with the car etc... and that nobody got hurt over this.

just becareful would hate to lose ya and the monte over somethign like this. it sux to have the feeling of no controll and know tha tyou cant do a thing to even come close to trying to save your collective tail feathers

Old 03-20-2008, 08:09 PM

I like your car! Great color!

Old 03-21-2008, 11:40 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Im sure there were cars going into the field all morning because of that patch of ice

I would have done the civic minded thing and called 911 to inform them so something could have been done to prevent other drivers from finding out the hard way.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:00 PM

ORIGINAL: rj

Im sure there were cars going into the field all morning because of that patch of ice

I would have done the civic minded thing and called 911 to inform them so something could have been done to prevent other drivers from finding out the hard way.

I would have called 911 too...or if I had slid into a field like that and go out, I would have went back up the hill, hit my light and stopped traffic. lol. (of course I would have been in the wife's Malibu to have the light)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: scary trip this morning