General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

2nd Gen ('73-'77): Restoration and Modernization

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 01:04 PM
Default Restoration and Modernization

Good afternoon!

I'm looking to purchase and restore a 1975 MC as a gift to my old man (it was his first car- "Sky blue babe magnet") and I just wanted to go over my plans and have you experts give me your thoughts. I am planning to restore the bodywork faithful to the original, but was going to update several components for increased speed, safety, and drive-ability. I am fine with spending several years on the project and am hoping to spend in the 20G range.

For safety, I was planning on upgrading the brakes all around to some type of disk with a double reservoir. Any suggestions on this? Is there a common kit or accepted brand available? Additionally, do I need to upgrade the seats and seatbelts or will the stock setup work?

How is the stock suspension? Will I need to upgrade it?

The meat of the time and cost of my restoration will likely be the engine and drivetrain. I would like to swap both for something more modern. However, as my dad won't likely race the vehicle, I won't need a performance crate engine or anything crazy. I was thinking something along the lines of a 2000-2010 truck engine and transmission to haul all that classic American weight around. Will it fit? Is that a good idea or are there better options for engines and drivetrains? I expect I'd have to redo the engine mounts and wiring. Anything else I'm overlooking? I haven't found a lot of resources on what engines are good for this gen of car, so if you have a better idea, let me know.

I know this is a lot of questions, so let me know if I need to split it up. Feel free to link me to other forums with this type of information. I've looked around a lot, but have had trouble finding the info I need. Thanks for your help and drive safe!