General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Replaced factory amp, still NO SOUND??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 05:03 PM
Default Replaced factory amp, still NO SOUND??

Replaced factory amp, and still no sound!
Could this be a fuse?

Old 03-18-2017, 06:38 PM

Do you have a Test light or DVOM/DMM? If you do I would test for power at the amp. I am going to guess that your car like many others in the past is plagued by the bad Power wire or Ground wire splice that is at the area behind the passenger seat. You will need to take off the trim, pull the carpet back and gain access to the wires that are bound and connected to the back floor. IN there will be 2 sets of Spliced wires that goes bad do to Corrosion. Either the Power or rare but some times it will be the ground that will break. Looking at the bundle of wires it will look ok some times so you will need to open the wires up some so you can see them all. What it is, There is 1 wire from the front for power and ground the amp. At this splice point they change to 2 wires. They go bad and no your amp has no more power.

What year is your car?
James

Old 03-18-2017, 06:45 PM

I am not sure what year your car is. So I will go on the year of my 02. For mine. The amp wire from the fuse block is Orange from the Right I/P Fuse box. Goes back to a Splice S370 and then from there goes to A3 and B3 on the amp. The ground comes from same I/P area Black back to S360 splice where it then goes to the AMP at A1 and B1

That is mine and most cases would be same for 00 to 05

James

Old 03-19-2017, 04:19 PM
Default Monte Carlo no sound

Originally Posted by Imp42017
I am not sure what year your car is. So I will go on the year of my 02. For mine. The amp wire from the fuse block is Orange from the Right I/P Fuse box. Goes back to a Splice S370 and then from there goes to A3 and B3 on the amp. The ground comes from same I/P area Black back to S360 splice where it then goes to the AMP at A1 and B1

James
Located the wires, they were in pretty bad shape, tried to reconnect now what lol
​​​​​​​

Old 03-19-2017, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Imp42017

James
Ok so then what!!??
​​​​​​​Lol

Old 03-19-2017, 04:53 PM

This split is in the main harness running to the back along the passenger door, and is in the area of where you crawl into the back seat. check that out and re do the connection.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:59 PM

SO THERE'S 2 SPLITS?
I found one on the side of the passenger seat

Old 03-19-2017, 06:20 PM

There is 2 one for Power Orange in color and a Black as well. Have you tested that the Amp is even powering up?

Do you still have your old amp if you say bought a bad one?

Again not sure the age of your MC. If it is in 00-01 or before There is a bypass was made by Metra to bypass the AMP. If it is an 02 up the amp has changed and there was no bypass made and you would need to make your own or splice the wires to take out the amp. That would be next option. Also I guess I need to ask! Is this a car you have owned for a while and it was working? or you trying to fix something you got that radio isn't playing? It could be they unplugged the speakers, or even cut out the wires for doing a aftermarket amp.

Sorry it is hard to say what it could be without the car in front of me. Only can give ideas of what I have known to be an issue.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:31 PM

To be Clear, There is only 1 Splice area for power and ground that you have already found and tried to fix.

Now asking in another thread not sure that is how to get people to respond to help. I don't live in this forum and I can only get to a computer when I can. I am sure that is how it is for others as well.

What you need to do is check that you have power at the amp! If you have a test light check that you have power. If you have power at the amp then you need to check the radio and make sure as I stated before that it wasn't cut out and a LOC put in to run a aftermarket amp. IF that connection is good then check the speakers to make sure that someone didn't disconnect the wires and run new from a aftermarket amp. If all is in good shape all still connected and factory set then it could be a bad Radio output. Seeing you already replaced the amp. Ran a shop for almost 30 years tracked down loads of shorts, opens and bad systems in my time. Now I just try to help others if I can.