General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Radiator Drain

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Default Radiator Drain

My Low coolant light came on yesterday so I was going to change the dex-cool in my car today. 2002 monte carlo ss 3.8l but can not find the drain plug? any help please????

Old 10-15-2007, 12:39 AM
Default RE: Radiator Drain

i wanna say its on the bottom left corner, back side. but i'm not positive.

flushing coolant is fine and all but this may not fix your problem. often times the coolant level sensor goes bad, or gets covered with gunk, and will turn on your low coolant light. check to see if your coolant level in the radiator is actually low before you start. if the coolant level is full i would recommend replacing the coolant level sensor. the sensor is located on the right hand side of the radiator, about half way top to bottom, on the back side. i usually remove the battery for easier access to the sensor.

or if the radiator is actually low, nevermind. but then you would need to find your coolant leak.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:07 PM

To get to the radiator's drain-**** (literally, that's what they call it) you'll probably have to remove the big plastic shroud from the underside of the bumper-cover. I did a flush on a friends 97 Taurus and it was right there, little white plastic **** with a tube.

Haven't done it on my car yet, but it looks pretty simple, probably a similar setup, except I have both a resevoir and a seperate pressurized system.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:47 PM

I should have read this post before posting my last one. But I did find the drain it was on the left side of the radiator when your laying under the front of the car and is fairly hard to get to and you won't be able to find it by the eye. But I believe mysensor may be bad due to the fact my coolant level is to the rim.