General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

P0442 trouble code. Anyone else get this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 05:23 PM
Default P0442 trouble code. Anyone else get this?

My CEL lit up receintly. I took it to autozone to get scanned. It came up as a P0442 evap control system leak small. Theautozone guy said the most likely cause is a faulty gas cap. So i bought a new one for $10. BUt he also said it could be a more serious problem, something about a evap canister. And in the past i know ive herd some other monte owners on this site with this problem. So my question is, what needed to be replaced or fixed when your car threw this code?

Old 07-31-2008, 09:49 PM
Default RE: P0442 trouble code. Anyone else get this?

I had the same problem with my cavaleir.In the end I had to replace the purge switch(I think thats the name of it)under the car.It wasnt the canister.I think itwas 36 bucks.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:29 AM

[align=center]Hi Jeff[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Are you still getting the code[/align][align=center]Did you have AutoZone reset after you installed new gas cap ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]If your problem continues it could be anything pertaining to sealing the evap systemFiller tube fuel sender gasket crack in the evap hoses evap test port evap canister or canister purge valve[/align][align=center]This code sets when the system is not able to hold a vacuum for a specified amount of time and the problem returns[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]You may have to get your system checked[/align][align=center]for leaks Good Luck[/align][align=center]Please keep us updated ok[/align]

Old 08-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

My MIL's Grande Marquis is throwing that code, but according to my code reader booklet there is an actual code for the gas cap not being on tight.

Want to hear a good one? Before I got a code reader, my mom's '08 Chevy truck's CEL came on. She took it back to the dealer, they said the gas cap was not tight. Well guess what? The other day in her message center, there's a message "tighten gas cap". NOW, my question is, if it TELLS you to tighten the gas cap, why did it turn the CEL on the first time??? My guess is that wasn't what was wrong the first time and they made that up.