General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

No Luck Replacing Turn Signal Switch!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default No Luck Replacing Turn Signal Switch!

I gave it a shot. Went by the book. But, when it came time to take the Airbag off the front of the Steering Wheel; I couldn't get that thing to budge. I disables the Airbag System and took-out the three small Torx Screws on the rear of the Steering Wheel. Managed to get the Lower Column Surround off. Got the Steering Column exposed.
Then came time to remove the Steering Wheel. I couldn't get the Airbag Module to disengage from the front of the Steering Wheel to get in and undo the Jesus Nut holding the Steering Wheel on.

I fought with it for awhile and tried un-clipping the Retaining Spring Clips ... but, they wouldn't let go and I gave-up trying today because I was getting frustrated and didn't want to let frustration get in the way of doing it right.

So, I guess I'm going to have to defer to Mr. GoodWrench on this one. Much to my dismay, I couldn't get any farther than what I said up above.
If anybody has done this and has some tip or trick I didn't try; I'm willing to give it another shot. But, if I can't get the Airbag Module to let go and come-off right ... I'd rather have someone who is experienced handle it rather than do something that is going to cost me big bucks for screwing something up.

Any thoughts from the Forum Members will be appreciated.

Rick Massey

Old 01-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Default RE: No Luck Replacing Turn Signal Switch!

you have an 00-05 right?

Old 01-12-2008, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member

'04 - LS
VIN: 2G1WW12E549325366
Steering Wheel has 3 Small Torx Screws holding-on rear cover.
Need the technique for removing the Airbag and Steering Wheel.
Steering Wheel has right-side and left-side "Thumb rockers" for Cruise Control On/Off (left side) and Controls (right side)
Triangular Torx screws holding-on steering wheel rear cover easily removed and cover becomes loose.
Cut-outs on rear cover above Torx screws special shaped for tool insertion and moving retaining spring clips***

*** I put a small blade screwdriver in those reliefs and wasn't able to move anything.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:27 PM

if you can get off the lower column cover, you should be able to take off the upper column cover, steering wheel removal isnt required.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:29 PM

even after taking the air bag out i dont persoanlly own a puller that can take the wheel off, have to use the gm special tools

Old 01-12-2008, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member

I DO have the lower Column Cover off. I was trying to get a look at the wiring harness to see if it was strapped or taped-up. I also have the vinyl Knee section off and there's only a few screws in the way to get the metal one removed.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member

I have a Puller.
I'm hoping you were right before and the Steering Wheel don't need to come off.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:44 PM

metal one doesnt have to come off either. the wiring just has a couple wire tires on it. after you unbolt the switch and have it hanging, unbolt the ignswitch connector below, unclip the multifunction switch sections of the connector, and they'll feed up to the top.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member

I guess I'll go outside and give it another look.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member

2000SS told me what to look for and I found it. A semi-hidden screw. So, I took-out the semi-hidden screws and the Switch flopped right out of there after a little bit of Tool improvisation. OK. That's the good news! I got the boneyard's switch in where my bad one was. But, NOW I got NO lights. I can FLASH High Beams with the Stalk. Turn Signals and Wipers all work. Just NO Lights come on at all. Looked at the Fuses. They're OK. Must be the Relay. So, NOW I have to find where Chevy hid the Headlight Relay on the 04 Monte.

I'm not discouraged. I'm please to say that after a personal consult on-the-phone with 2000SS I managed to get the Top Column Cover off and get the Switch and Wiring Harness pulled and replaced. So, at least I'm on the case ... and know that whatever the obstacle is that keeping the Lights off isn't going to be something I won't abe able to figure out.

The operation was a success but the patient is still in critical condition.
And, ... I haven't folded and brought the car into the Dealership ... Yet!

Quick Reply: No Luck Replacing Turn Signal Switch!