General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

New... first post here on MCF

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Default New... first post here on MCF

welcome to my retardedly long first post, in which I go on at length like a seasoned bag-pipe master. just take a leak now.

I used to own a 1997 Chevy Malibu, it had a 3100 in it, and I went through the different stages with it like opening up the exhaust, making a CAI, installing a larger TB, and removing the UIM and LIM and porting the ever-loving-crap out ofthem. It screamed like a raped ape after 4k rpm. The car had a curb weight of 3017 pounds, so the power to weight ratio with my estimated 25 hp overstock gains would have looked like about 15.5 pounds per hp.

I've sold that car. I have another DD (93 Lumina sedan, 3.1, wicked on gas, mint shape, floats like a boat) and I've picked up a 1997 Monte Carlo LS. I'm not a huge DOHC fan, so i'm not concerned about not having a model with that engine. I have no beef with the 3800 either (not at ALL), but this car I got for 600 bucks, and it's white with tint, sunroof, white alloys... just a sharp two door. The previous owner was told he had a blown head-gasket, so the car was parked. The motor happens to be recently installed and has 62k miles on it. I've gone over the car in our shop, and found it only needs a thermostat.... thats it.... oh and i flushed the coolant of course.
This thing is going to get plenty of love... I like the 3100 motor, it has the advantage of being light and easily upgradeable, with many scads of parts available. I'm going with one of 60degreev6's regrind cams, 3400 top end etc etc....
One thing bothers me though... the car already weighs a couple hundred pounds MORE than the Malibu I modified; and while I'm doing more engine workto the Monte, im still wondering.... where can I cut weight off this car?? I'd like to get my power to weight ratio down down down! Thanks!

Old 03-26-2008, 06:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default RE: New... first post here on MCF

Welcome to the forum, Ian. Thats a nice looking 5th gen monte you have there. The 3100 is a great motor and should be great on gas, just watch out for those intake leaks.If you want to save on weight, pull the back seat. Lol, not practical but that should cut down on your weight alot. Removing the spare tire will save weight too but I wouldnt recommend that. Check out milzy motor sports. They have alot of stuff for the 3xxx engines.

There are alot of nice members on this forum that will be more than willing to help you out with upgrading your monte. Member SpaceRider should be in soon to greet you. Hes our unofficial PR person here. Member Scc24540 (chris) has done alot of work on his LS monte under the hood. He would be a great source of info on upgrades, though you seem to already know what you are talking about.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:19 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to MCFs. Hope you decide you like it here and stay a while.

We have an unwritten rule all new members post pics for us since the majority of the MCF members are male and therefore visual creatures.

Good luck with your new toy and any upgrades done to it.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the site.

Long post? You haven't seen a long post until you've met a couple of our other members here (who will remain nameless for now) LOL.

On the grand am forum I used to be on, there were lots of people who reduced weight by going with a carbon fibre hood and trunk lid. Not sure about availability for 96-99 (5th generation) Monte Carlos. That would be one way.

It also depends on what your plans are for the car. If you plan on using it as a daily driver and need to carry passengers, there's not a lot you can do inside. You could replace the front seats with some lighter racing seats. But if you plan on racing the car, you can just gut the interior. But I wouldn't suggest using the 3100 engine for racing.

There are lots of performance upgrades available for the 3100. Keep in mind the 91-94 Cavalier Z24 and Pontiac Sunbird had the 3100 engine also. So that may help you in your search.

Good luck.

Oh yeah...

Congrats on getting your car for only 600 bucks and the price of a thermostat!

Old 03-26-2008, 06:25 PM

Welcome to the MCF and nice lookin Monte. How bout some pictures.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:05 PM

Well I appreciate the welcome! I'll definately get some pictures going! heres my photobucket page http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd172/Szgatti/that shows my old Malibu, my ugly Lumina, and a bigger picture of the Monte I just got... a few other pics too of me, (so you can put a face to me) and one of my wife (although maybe not of her face)

As far as the weight saving... I've never been afraid of running flat with no spare.... im just dangerous like that...er, stupid like that... but anyways. I was wondering how much a 16 inch stock aluminum wheel with 225/60/16 tire weighs... aftermarket wheels and tires could weigh less.... and also, are there any rear disc brake swaps I can do... because I suspect that my drum set-up probably weighs more??
Anyways, as i said, thanks for the warm welcome. I will definately update on my progress here!

Old 03-26-2008, 08:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

You can get the setup off a z34 monte of the same year. Maybe find one in a junkyard somewhere. My z34 has rear disks. There isnt much mass to the setupso they have to be lighter than drums.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I understand the idea that less weight = faster car.
And I can see the advantage to changing the hood and trunk lid to carbon fibre because there's a huge difference in weight.

But I fail to see the advantage of spending a lot of money changing a bunch of parts to save a pound here, a pound there. To me these are all weight savings that can be easily negated by the driver's weight. A good holiday dinner can add 5 pounds or more alone.

Instead of obsessing with reducing every little ounce of weight to better the weight to hp ratio, increase the horsepower.

I'm not saying you're doing this. I have seen people do this however.

I've seen someone so obsessed, he completely stripped the entire interior of his Mustang GT. Carpet, seats, door panels, head liner, most of his dash, entire sound system and wiring, everything except for a lightweight racing seat for the driver. He even replaced the steering wheel with a basic Grant steering wheel because he thought the airbag in the factory wheel added too much weight. This was in his daily driver. Not a second car used for racing. He wasn't a professional racer. His engine was pretty much stock except for the Nos he installed.
This guy ruined his BRAND NEW mustang GT doing this.

Again, not saying you're doing this. Just don't want to see anyone turn into a person like "mustang dude".

Old 03-26-2008, 10:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

hey, welcome. Rear seats aren't actually that heavy though... but it does all depend on how drastic you want to go. Stock wheels are fairly heavy, but I love those white wheels on white 5th gens.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:49 AM

Hi `Ian, from Vineland, Canada,
and Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family Forum.
Our forum has many member's from Canada with some Awesome Monte Carlo's.
We hope you enjoy the MCF, and we look forward to your future post
and hearing more about your auto projects, plus the great fishing in your country.
Wish you safe/fun miles on your `journey of life.
`Space
[:-]Great Looking Monte Carlo [:-]

Quick Reply: New... first post here on MCF