General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

need help, choke light on, rattling in exhaust..

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:32 PM
Default need help, choke light on, rattling in exhaust..

my choke light is on and i have a rattling sound coming from my exhaust. my dad said there is like a flapper valve type thing in the exhaustfor the choke, and there is a metal tube that comes up from the exhaust and it is broken. my idle is also a little out of whack, it idles high. ill get a pic of the broken tube tomorrow, is that what is rattling in my exhaust?

Old 04-24-2008, 07:29 PM
Default RE: need help, choke light on, rattling in exhaust..

the pipe your talking about is from teh manifold on the pass. side of the motor. and it is called a heat riser. it causes heat to come up and hit a spring on the same side fo the carb that ehats up and closes or opens your choke as it needs to be due to hot or cold weather.

the rattel is also there is somtimes a valve in there that rattels some . you cna find this out easy enough .
when the car is cold. look down in there and see if the valve is there if so try holding it one way or the other just becareful as it will get hot quick.
if it stops your rattel then this is it.

if the spring gets weak or breaks or even falls out. then it will allow it to losen up some and cause it to rattel

Old 04-24-2008, 08:33 PM

thanks alot man. would that be a loud rattle? the sound i have is kinda loud

Old 04-25-2008, 10:27 AM

i think the rattle your talkinf about if the EFE valve. it is a vaccum operated valve. its supposed to take unburnt fuel in the exhaust and re-route it to be burnt again. Its an emissions thing. they break after a while and are expensive to replace, and a total PITA if your doing it your self. First check to see if the vaccum line is still on it and not dry rotted. if all is there, and you still have the sound, either wire it to the open position, or replace it. you cant just take it off because it acts like a spacer between the manifold and the y-pipe going to the cat.