General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

my dads monte: is it worth the trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default my dads monte: is it worth the trouble?

well, yesterday we got my dads new purchase home, a black96 Z34 SS. looking the car over, we found it was in worse condition then we thought... the interior still smells like rat urine, leather is torn in a couple of places, trunk wont open, it smells, thedrivers side headlight mount is busted, it reeks, but the final nail in the coffin (other than the stench) is that the oil leval seams to have risen, hopefully someone overfilled it, but it might mean the block is cracked...[:@][:@][:@][:@]do you think$600 was too much to pay for something that might just wind up a parts car for my monte? do you think its worth the trouble to fix everything?( not happining if the block is cracked...) some pics of the car whear it sat, taken a couple of weeks ago. more soon... (sorry if there a little big...)

Old 02-09-2009, 09:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default RE: my dads monte: is it worth the trouble?

I dont think its worth it. There are s many of these cars around that finding a cheap on it decent condition isnt all that hard. You could probably get a decent car that is similar for the amount it would take to fix that car up.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:48 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Buyer remorse always sets in a day or so after you buy something like a car.

Good thing I didn't give in or I wouldn't own my first car 37 years this summer.

I really felt the remorse the day I got my '86 LS. Cause not till after my money was in the other guy's pocket did I realize the car was not an SS like I wanted. I was standing there looking at the front of the car and thought, "Hey, that's not an SS nose." Too late!

But I'm glad I kept the car. Cause there were fewer '86 LS Montes made versus the SS Montes. Sure I'd still love to own an '87-88 SS Monte. Maybe someday?

I'd give the car a few days before I decided to part it or get rid of it. It may turn out to be a decent car afterall?

Old 02-10-2009, 06:16 PM

If it was a 3.8 I'd say its worth it. Besides the smell everything looks like it can be fixed and maybe sell it to make a small profit. Being that it isn't and maybe you have to fix the 3.4 engine some what it depends on how much is wrong if any with the engine.

I'm waiting to hopefully get my hands on a 98 Firebird 3.8 for $1000 and fix it up and sell it to make a small profit.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:02 PM

Well what parts are useable or wanted for your monte? If its more than 3 major body parts I would say yes.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:24 PM

id say not worth it, there are alot of montes out there for decent prices..

Old 02-10-2009, 09:53 PM

You can get rid of that nasty "Rat-****" stench real easy. You need a bucket. Add: 1- Bottle of Jack Daniels, 2- Bottles of Witch Hazel, 6-Small cans of Sterno, 1-Mayo Jar of 100% Pure Grain Alcohol, 12-Can of Ronson Lighter Fluid -or- 16 oz. of Naphtha Dry Cleaning Fluid. Stir it all in the bucket until the Sterno dissolves into the fluid. Open the Driver side door and tip the seat forward. Pour 1/2 Bucket all over the rear seats. 1/2 Bucket all over the front seats and carpet. Remove the Striker from an Emergency Road Flare. Light the flare. Throw the flare into the back seat, Run.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:42 AM
rj
15 Year Member

There's also stuff you can buy at the store to remove odor.

About 2 years ago I had a chipmonk decide he wanted to live in my barn. Incase you don't know, rodents and classic cars do not mix.

Even mylazy male cat just ignored the chipmonk. The cat almost got walking papers.

One day I noticed the chipmonk wasn't in the barn anymore. Till the smell came. Then I knew it was dead somewhere? But I couldn't find the body and there weren't a bunch of flies trying to get in the barn. You know, to finish off what was left.

I needed to move my 4-door '57 one day. I removed the blanketI have over the car cover and found the chipmonk. It got stuck between the blanket and car cover. And did it stink.

My girlfriend bought me this stuff at walmart that said it removed stubborn odors. And it seemed to.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:29 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Id say just keep it as a parts car.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

well, i have a few more pics of the car, wiped it down with a damp cloth to remove some of the salt and tree sap, and i bought a couple of 88 cent air freasheners for the interior, and i have been soaking the carpets in oust on a daily basis, and also leaving the doors open during daylight hours.still havent checked the engine oil to check for water yet, but if that checks out i think we can get it togeather. other than that its just little annoying stuff, like small rips in the door panel someone put electrical tape over, the trunk wont open, and cracked lenses on marker lights someone krazy glued back togeather, and a big scuff on the passenger quarter panel.it looked trashey at first, hence the buyers remorse, but now that i have looked it over i have realized a friends salvage yard has an ls with all the peices we need to get it lookin good except the leather interior peices, but if we have to the junked car has an immaculate cloth interior we could swap out... without the **** smell. just as long as the engine isint a bust. eather way, thanks for the support

heres the pics, cleaned up a little. you can see the scuff in the one of the passenger side... compound time!

Quick Reply: my dads monte: is it worth the trouble?