General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

My Average Cost per Mile is $0.47 - What's yours ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default My Average Cost per Mile is $0.47 - What's yours ?

[align=center][/align][align=center]
True Cost to Own[/align][align=center]A ChevroletMonte Carlo ?
About TCO
Summary

The Edmunds Inc. True Cost to OwnSM (TCO) pricing system calculates the additional costs you may not have included when considering your next vehicle purchase. These extra costs include: depreciation, interest on your loan, taxes and fees, insurance premiums, fuel costs, maintenance, and repairs. Search below to view the TCO of any vehicle.
Checked my 06 LT3, below is my 5 year cost.
Reflecting a cost of $0.47 per mile

5 year cost
True Cost to Own*
$35,569view details

Total Cash Price
$17,022view details

Average Cost per Mile*

$0.47compare similar vehicles[/align][/align]

[/align][align=center]Check your TCO below[/align][align=center][:-]Click below link to find your true cost to own[:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]http://www.edmunds.com/apps/cto/CTOintroController[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Click that link above to check your cost
__________________________________________________ __________[/align][align=center]______________________________________[/align][align=center]___________________[/align][align=center]_
[:-][/align][align=center][align=center]True Cost to OwnSM (TCO)

[/align][align=center] About True Cost to OwnSM[/align]

[b]Edmunds.com's True Cost to OwnSM is a proprietary tool that helps you estimate the total five-year cost of buying and owning a vehicle - including some items you may not have taken into consideration. A benefit of using this tool is that you can easily compare the five-year totals for different vehicles and make a more informed choice.
The costs that we estimate include depreciation, interest on financing, taxes and fees, insurance premiums, fuel, maintenance and repairs. In order to estimate certain mileage-dependent costs, we assume that vehicles have been driven an average of 15,000 miles per year. For used vehicles, we calculate mileage using the nominal difference between the current calendar year and the vehicle's model year.
Note that TCO is a comparative tool, not a predictive tool - your actual five-year cost of owning a particular vehicle will vary depending on your personal circumstances, such as your driving history and the number of miles you drive.

[size=5][u]How We C

Old 08-28-2007, 05:24 AM
Default RE: My Average Cost per Mile is $0.47 - What's yours ?

Members, what do you think of TCO ?
What is your cost per mile ?
Do you think it's accurate ?
Post your thoughts/comments below.
Thanks for your Feedback
[sm=feedback.gif]
[:-]

Old 08-28-2007, 07:08 AM

Well its garbage as I cant adjust for 0% financing the actual cost of my insurance or the maintance package I purchased. All of this needs to becalc by hand so there is no need for the tool.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:42 AM

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: LnLSS06

Well its garbage as I cant adjust for 0% financing the actual cost of my insurance or the maintance package I purchased. All of this needs to becalc by hand so there is no need for the tool.
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Hi `J.R., with all the factor's in determining the cost, less[/align][align=center]financing, what did you determine your cost per mile is[/align][align=center]with your calculator?[/align][align=center]I think the formula gives a ballpark figure what to expect.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Example, my auto insurance is super high because of my age,[/align][align=center]and tickets : ( , thus my average would be different : )[/align][align=center]Thanks for your post, & contributions to the MCF.[/align][align=center]`Space[/align]

Old 08-28-2007, 12:25 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Mine says it costs me $0.44 to own/operate my '06 Monte.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:14 PM

they only go back to 03, but i have a 2000. but for a 03LS they say $.38/mile with a $28179 TCO

but i think i'm well under that. 5yr depreciation is $4665 but i only paid $3300 for mine, but after parts and a lil bodywork i had done i had about $4000 into it

financing over 5yrs was $1749, that would be $0

insurance for 5yrs is $5356, but i dont have full coverage. and would pay around $1150 for 5yr liability

for maintenece and repairs, i do my own work and get employee pricing on parts.

basicly, it looks way high to me

Old 08-29-2007, 08:10 AM

[align=center]
How Much Does it Cost to Drive? (2006)
Following are AAA average per-mile costs and the composite average cost for three size categories of sedans:

What’s Covered
AAA’s analysis covers vehicles equipped with standard and optional equipment including automatic transmission, air conditioning, power steering, antilock brakes and cruise control, to name a few.
[ul][*]Fuel Fuel costs were based on $2.405 per gallon, the late-2005 U.S. price from AAA’s Fuel Gauge Report: www.fuelgaugereport.com. Fuel mileage is based on Environmental Protection Agency fuel-economy ratings weighted 60 percent city and 40 percent highway driving. [*]Maintenance Costs include retail parts and labor for normal, routine maintenance as specified by the vehicle manufacturer. They also include the price of a comprehensive extended warranty with one warranty claim deductible of $100 and other wear-and-tear items that can be expected to require service during five years of operating the vehicle. Sales tax is included on a national average basis. [*]Tires Costs are based on the price of one set of replacement tires of the same quality, size and ratings as those that came with the vehicle. Mounting, balancing and sales tax also are included. [*]Insurance AAA based its insurance costs on a full-coverage policy for a married 47-year-old male with a good driving record, living in a small city and commuting three to 10 miles daily to work. The policy includes $100,000/$300,000
coverage with a $500 deductible for collision and a $100 deductible for comprehensive coverage.
[*]License, Registration and Taxes Costs include all governmental taxes and fees payable at time of purchase, as well as fees due each year to keep the vehicle licensed and registered. Costs are computed on a national average basis. [*]Depreciation Depreciation is based on the difference between new-vehicle purchase price and estimated trade-in value at the end of five years. [*]Finance Costs are based on a five-year loan at 6 percent interest with a 10 percent down payment. The loan amount includes taxes and the first year’s license fees, both computed on a national average basis. [/ul]
Detailed driving costs for small, medium and large sedans are provided in the table below. Driving costs for four-wheel-drive sport utility vehicles and minivans are listed on page 8. Though not part of the composite AAA average, SUV and minivan information is included to help buyers estimate operating costs for these types of vehicles.
Representative Vehicle Models
Driving costs in each category are based on average costs for five top-selling models selected by AAA. By size category, they are:
• Small sedan — Chevrolet Cobalt, Ford Focus, Honda Civic, Nissan Sentra and Toyota Corolla.
• Medium sedan — Chevrolet Impala, Ford Fusion, Honda Accord, Nissan Altima and Toyota Camry.
• Large sedan — Buick Lucerne, Chrysler 300, Ford Five Hundred, Nissan Maxima and Toyota Avalon.

Selected SUV models include Chevrolet TrailBlazer, Ford Explorer, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Nissan Pathfinder and Toyota 4Runner.
Minivans include Chevrolet Uplander, Dodge Grand Caravan, Ford Freestar, Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna.
AAA Average Costs Per Mile

Miles per year 10,000 15,000 20,000

Small Sedan 50.5 cents 41.7 cents 37.6 cents

Medium Sedan 62.4 cents 53.1 cents 48.8 cents

Large Sedan 72.9 cents 61.9 cents 56.5 cents

Composite average 62.0 cents 52.2 cents 47.7 cents
[URL=http://www.pacebus.com/sub/vanpool/calculate_cost_of_driving.asp][b]How to calculate you own cost of driv

Old 08-29-2007, 08:16 AM

[:-]
What is the average cost per mile to operate a car including depreciation maintenance gasoline insurance etc?
[align=center]Click below link [:-][/align][align=center]http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_average_cost_per_mile_to_operate_a_car _including_depreciation_maintenance_gasoline_insur ance_etc[/align]

Old 08-29-2007, 10:02 AM

I think this tool would be good for parents to show their kids when they look for their first car. It's quick and easy as in a few pull downs and you've got an answer vs 5 hours of research on each vehicle in a library.

I think it would be great if I had a 16 year old just to show them "yeah the Corvette is hot, but will cost you this much. Why don't we go with a used Saturn for your first car." Well check that, actually I'd look at something abit more fun but sill low cost like an 80's Camaro project.