General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

The Monte Carlo resale

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Default The Monte Carlo resale

I wonder... just curious.

Why is this car so "cheap" for resale? I bought my '03 SS for under 10k, it has almost 100k, and one small nickle size ding in the front fender. At highway speeds its quiet (for a SS) has all the good stuff - sunroof, leather, XM, etc..etc.. Comparable Hondas were at 13-16k and not nearly as nice. I researched the 3800 engine, it lasts as long or longer than imports. No major problems, excellent reliability, good power and handling. I'm scratching my head. (not that I'm complaining!)

Old 03-17-2008, 07:27 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: The Monte Carlo resale

i can say about the same thing myself... i bought an 03 with 81000 miles at the time for $9500. Not much market for a lower 20's mpg v6 2 door coupe anymore.... which works out for us!! anotehr thing it is GM... GM isn't known for quality any more.

when you think about the difference in price for the hondas at the prices they are, the condition they are in... you can put a lot of gas in this car for the $5-8k difference

Old 03-17-2008, 07:41 PM

Honda has a higher resale value than most domestic cars anyway. With your 3800, just watch out for intake leaks. I just went through that with mine. DEXCOOL which is the coolant GM uses in their newer cars, is bad on gaskets. I would suggest having a coolant drain and refill with a universal coolant. There is a class-action lawsuit against GM/DEXCOOL for the coolant eating gaskets. My car was too old. ( LOL. Have fun with your new SS and if you do have any troubles, don't cheap out, get it fixed right away the right way. )

Old 03-17-2008, 07:47 PM

(according to the computer) I'm getting 26 mpg city, and 32 highway. Maybe I'm getting old, most likely I'm getting hip to the cost of maintenance. I had the trans flushed, Mobil 1 oil change, and thanks to the people on this forum I found out the timing is chain driven, and I'm happy to drive this car across country. Still researcing plugs...

Old 03-18-2008, 07:52 AM

[align=center]Hi Thomas,[/align][align=center]The Monte's really holds their value, after the big hit loss[/align][align=center]when they come `off the dealers showroom as`new.[/align][align=center](It happens to all cars/trucks)[X(][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Clean/Used Monte's hold their value, and it takes a wise[/align][align=center]auto investor to realize what a great automobile the Monte [/align][align=center]Carlo is : )[/align][align=center]If someone is look'in for a great investment& the best bang[/align][align=center]for the buck, then the Monte Carlo is a excellent choice,[/align][align=center]especially `if [/align][align=center]1. you want a Touring Coupe, that has[/align][align=center]decent reliable performance + plus : )[/align][align=center]2. A coupe that will carry five in comfort safely.[/align][align=center]3. A coupe that will give decent MPG for it's size/weight[/align][align=center]4. For it's unique race inspired wind tunnel design.[/align][align=center]5. For it's bulletproof engines, especially the 3.8L,[/align][align=center]but they are all great Chevy engines.[/align][align=center]6. Minor problems, but easy to find parts to repair/fix : )[/align][align=center]7. If you treat them with love & care, they will love[/align][align=center]you back. Many travel over 400K before they[/align][align=center]go to the hospital for reconditioning : )[/align][align=center]8. You have to be a wise person, to choose the[/align][align=center][sm=hail.gif]Awesome Chevrolet Monte Carlo [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I could continue, but you would be reading this post[/align][align=center]4-ever [/align][align=center]EnJoy your Journey,[/align][align=center]and it's so much better in a[/align][align=center]Chevrolet Monte Carlo[/align][align=center][sm=happy046.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=happy046.gif][/align][align=center]`Space[/align]

Old 03-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Monte Of The Month - April 2010 & Sep
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

two reasons:

1. it's an american car and american cars, with the exception of a few, have poor resale value.
2. 40 to 50% of it's sales went to fleet (ie rental car agencies)

Old 03-18-2008, 12:38 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just for giggles I did a recent KBB on my '06 LTZ. With the mileage my car has (13,275) Kelly says it's still in the upper $16k range. Which is close to what I paid for it in october, 2006.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

It's a 2-Door mega-coupe.

No market for those except for cigar-smoking, horse-racing, lotto playing gamblers.

And that market is rapidly dying.

That is why the Eldorado died and the Coupe DeVille died.