General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

To mod or not to mod..?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 07:16 PM
1 Year Member
Default To mod or not to mod..?

Those of you that have special editions with low mileage do you leave them stock to keep the value or have you modified them? I would like to do some mods but not sure if I should yet.
I have to use up the two year lease on my other car before I start driving this a lot so maybe I will wait to then. <O:p></O:p>

Some of the mods I have been contemplating are - <O:p></O:p>
  • Window tint<O:p></O:p>
  • Bora or some aftermarket exhaust (not too loud).<O:p></O:p>
  • Wheels 18 or 20 (will keep the original) <O:p></O:p>
Thanks...<O:p></O:p>

Old 06-05-2012, 07:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Mod. These things aren't going to be worth a ton in the future. There are just simply too many of them, even the "special edition" ones.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- September 2011
2011 Monte Of The Year
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Mod. These things aren't going to be worth a ton in the future. There are just simply too many of them, even the "special edition" ones.
x2

let the modding begin!! lol

Old 06-05-2012, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Franks 03SS
x2

let the modding begin!! lol
x3 totally agree

Old 06-05-2012, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by DE02Carlo
Those of you that have special editions with low mileage do you leave them stock to keep the value or have you modified them? I would like to do some mods but not sure if I should yet.
I have to use up the two year lease on my other car before I start driving this a lot so maybe I will wait to then. <O:p></O:p>

Some of the mods I have been contemplating are - <O:p></O:p>
  • Window tint<O:p></O:p>
  • Bora or some aftermarket exhaust (not too loud).<O:p></O:p>
  • Wheels 18 or 20 (will keep the original) <O:p></O:p>
Thanks...<O:p></O:p>
if i were you i would do tint and exhuast for sure, my dad on his 02 earnhardt which has 7400 miles has tint on it right now and we are eventually putting a K&n on it and possible magnaflow.

i say do tint first and then whatever else you want to do, do it after tint. these cars are worth more than what people think as far the earnhardt editions go. booked my dads a couple weeks ago and it booked at around 23k i believe same as what it was in 2007

Last edited by 02 Earnhardt Monte Carlo SS; 06-05-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The value of these cars has been staying pretty solid for the past couple of years although they probably won't stay where they're at for much longer, most of our cars are 10 years old or getting close.

I say mod away!

Old 06-05-2012, 08:15 PM

after ten years i see them falling off a little bit, but once the nascar editions get to 20 years old they will be consdiered classic and should go right back up in value as long as you have the C.O.A from gm for them.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:34 PM
1 Year Member

Thanks for the replies!

I think I will do a couple things but nothing I can't restore to stock like tinting, wheels and tires, possible exhaust if I keep the old system. Have to see if it unbolts somewhere or has to be cut.

I took the plastic engine cover off to keep it like new, will probably put a cover over the drivers seat just treated the leather. I figure in two years I will have about 4-5k on it and re-evaluate at that time...

Old 06-05-2012, 08:37 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 02 Earnhardt Monte Carlo SS
if i were you i would do tint and exhuast for sure, my dad on his 02 earnhardt which has 7400 miles has tint on it right now and we are eventually putting a K&n on it and possible magnaflow.

i say do tint first and then whatever else you want to do, do it after tint. these cars are worth more than what people think as far the earnhardt editions go. booked my dads a couple weeks ago and it booked at around 23k i believe same as what it was in 2007
Where did you book yours at for 23k?

Old 06-05-2012, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by DE02Carlo
Thanks for the replies!

I think I will do a couple things but nothing I can't restore to stock like tinting, wheels and tires, possible exhaust if I keep the old system. Have to see if it unbolts somewhere or has to be cut.

I took the plastic engine cover off to keep it like new, will probably put a cover over the drivers seat just treated the leather. I figure in two years I will have about 4-5k on it and re-evaluate at that time...
since 2007 when we bought my dads 02 earnhardt we have put under 2000 miles on it.

Quick Reply: To mod or not to mod..?