General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): losing water?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default losing water?

Hey guys! question: my '03 monte 3.8 is losing water, I have replaced the water pump (year and 1/2), had radiator fixed, 1 year, replaced elbows but not with the aluminum ones, new hoses etc., I am losing a lot of water from radiator without obvious leak? now just this past week I am hearing gurgling noises when I first crank up the car? yes I have not blead the system everytime I added water to rad so I get that but that does not explain the loss of water?? Is this upper/lower manifold leak and how do I know for sure?? thanks as always people!!... Claydoh

Old 11-25-2016, 12:58 AM

Running straight water can allow a slight leak to go undetected.
Trace water can be simply drawn through the EVAP System as a vapor if it gets converted to steam and gets vented along with Crankcase fumes.

Pull the PCV Valve and look for anything slime-related.

Not sure, ... but I think AutoZone has a Cooling System Pressure Tester you can borrow for free.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:45 AM

I checked O'Reilly and it looks like they have the tool; I'd imagine autozone has it tool.

Yeah that gurgling is air in the system and you hear the coolant/water in the heatercore. A lot of placed for a leak, but you can put some dye in and pressure the system as Rick is indicating. The only way to be sure is to start testing.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Make sure to check your oil to see if it's mixing in there, which would be bad news.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:11 PM

If "a good deal" of coolant is leaking internally, ... you will find evidence:

1) Checking your Oil for obvious contamination.
The Oil will become discolored and take-on a milky-looking appearance.
There will be a slime-like coating the Dip Stick and Tube.

2) You will likely find some gunky-slime buildup on the Oil Fill Cap and immediate area surrounding the Oil Filler Cap's inlet on the Valve Cover.

3) Similar evidence on the PCV Valve.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:30 PM

Heating core. Check the passenger side floor-mat for dampness.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member

Thanks for the replies guys! I appreciate it!! after much further investigation, I have determined that the culprit of me losing water is again those pesky plastic cooling elbows which I replaced maybe two years ago!! once engine is hot I can see it seeoing out of the one that is visible. I checked the oil and rad for slime/milkyness etc that was suggested and found none? whew!! I am replacing with the aluminum elbows this weekend and hopefully that will fix her up!! again thank you for the help, Claydoh

Old 12-05-2016, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member

Well replaced elbows Saturday with the new aluminum ones and so far so good!! thanks again for all the input! love this site for help and info!!

Old 12-10-2016, 12:54 AM

I know I'm a little late, but I had the same issue, I was losing a lot of coolant from the plastic elbow. I just replaced them on my 2001 SS with the aluminum ones and solved the problem.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:47 AM

Good to hear everyone got them solved with a relatively simple fix. I remember reading a while back that doorman had some issues with those o-rings on the aluminum elbows. Seems like they are back to good again.